[Ambassadors] EVENT: Indiana Linux Fest, budget finalized

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 22:40:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM, David Nalley <david at gnsa.us> wrote:
> Speaking only for myself, I see a few issues with the budget as proposed.
> First - we don't reimburse mileage - see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees#Cost_coverage
>  the big issue there is receipts. Saying $randomcontributor drove 500
> miles to attend $foocon is hard for Max and his minions to submit as a
> verifiable expense.

I'm going to assume in this context mileage really meant an estimate
of actual fuel  costs. It is a good point and folks need to always
remember they need good RECEIPTS for any reimbursable expense.

> Second - while I am not inherently opposed to flying people across the
> country to attend an event, I think little is in the budget that shows
> what the return on investment is to Fedora for doing so. Don't get me
> wrong, Markdude and SouthernGentleman are excellent contributors, but
> I am unsure what they bring to the table that the other 4 attendees
> don't bring (and they represent ~50% of the money). If the only thing
> we are doing there is manning a booth, it at least makes me want to
> look a little closer.

And I think here we see a little inexperience with the event
organization process. There are good reasons for both Mark and Ben to
attend and I would encourage Pascal to add them to the wiki so
everyone can see WHY we are funding travel for people from long
distance. I'd be happy to share why I think both bring value to the
event here, there, or on IRC but I'm not the organizer and I think he
should express his thinking.

Given that vagueness I do have reasons and do support funding both
Mark and Ben in this case.

John