[Ambassadors] SxSW photobooth awesomeness and its future

Clint Savage herlo at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 16 07:57:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Mathieu Bridon
<bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 22:59 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
>> First off, the photobooth idea is amazing.  I'd like to say that we
>> should be doing something similar at every event, encouraging people
>> to get their pic taken at our booth. But making someone where a
>> costume for 2-3 days could be challenging.  So I propose we build a
>> portable photo board[1] to include in Event Boxen.  Probably of
>> something more goofy, I actually thought the Beefy Miracle[2] would be
>> a good choice, since it's easy to come up with.
>>
>> In addition, one would need a web cam and a dedicated laptop to take
>> the pictures and upload them.  This should be an easy to-do.  Having a
>> web cam could prove invaluable for other things as well, like doing
>> mini tutorials.
>>
>>  Logistically, this could be a bit challenging when you have only an
>> 8'x8' space, but this can be handled pretty easily.  One way is to
>> move the table and chairs to one side and stand in the booth, or sit
>> behind (tightly) the table and work from there.  The other half of the
>> booth could easily be used to take pictures and show off our cool
>> stuff!
>
> Another way to do it could be with the new Cheese:
> http://programmermusings.blogspot.com/2011/02/face-overlays.html
>
> That would take much less space, and could be a fun demo of what one can
> do with Fedora.
>
> And if the Beefy Miracle face overlay has some success, it could even be
> included out of box in Cheese. :)
>

> --
> Mathieu

Mathieu,

Oh, you made my job easier, I think.  We just need to figure out what
special overlays we'll offer and apply it to the pic as part of a
script.  I like the idea of cheese, but I would definitely want to be
able to script it so that we could hand out postcards with proper QR
codes for their pictures.  I suspect Cheese can be scriptable (since
it's written with gstreamer, which has python and other bindings).

Great idea here!  I love the face overlays!

Clint