[Ambassadors] SxSW photobooth awesomeness and its future

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 16 08:33:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 01:57 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Mathieu Bridon
> <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 22:59 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> >> First off, the photobooth idea is amazing.  I'd like to say that we
> >> should be doing something similar at every event, encouraging people
> >> to get their pic taken at our booth. But making someone where a
> >> costume for 2-3 days could be challenging.  So I propose we build a
> >> portable photo board[1] to include in Event Boxen.  Probably of
> >> something more goofy, I actually thought the Beefy Miracle[2] would be
> >> a good choice, since it's easy to come up with.
> >>
> >> In addition, one would need a web cam and a dedicated laptop to take
> >> the pictures and upload them.  This should be an easy to-do.  Having a
> >> web cam could prove invaluable for other things as well, like doing
> >> mini tutorials.
> >>
> >>  Logistically, this could be a bit challenging when you have only an
> >> 8'x8' space, but this can be handled pretty easily.  One way is to
> >> move the table and chairs to one side and stand in the booth, or sit
> >> behind (tightly) the table and work from there.  The other half of the
> >> booth could easily be used to take pictures and show off our cool
> >> stuff!
> >
> > Another way to do it could be with the new Cheese:
> > http://programmermusings.blogspot.com/2011/02/face-overlays.html
> >
> > That would take much less space, and could be a fun demo of what one can
> > do with Fedora.
> >
> > And if the Beefy Miracle face overlay has some success, it could even be
> > included out of box in Cheese. :)
>
> Mathieu,
>
> Oh, you made my job easier, I think.  We just need to figure out what
> special overlays we'll offer and apply it to the pic as part of a
> script.  I like the idea of cheese, but I would definitely want to be
> able to script it so that we could hand out postcards with proper QR
> codes for their pictures.  I suspect Cheese can be scriptable (since
> it's written with gstreamer, which has python and other bindings).

They have a Cheese widget that can be included in any application.

Built on top of Glib/Gtk3, they should have gobject-introspection
generated bindings for different languages, so yes, you could probably
write a small PyGI app that would do what you want. Caveat: their GI
support might not be optimal and that might require some work to improve
it.

Or, someone could write a Cheese post-shoot plugin (much like the
post-commit hooks we love in VCSes) to do just that. Caveat: I have no
idea if Cheese even has the concept of post-shoot plugins. :)

The former would probably be less work, but the latter would bring much
benefit to everyone.

--
Mathieu