[Ambassadors] sponsorship from Microsoft to freesoftware events in Nicaragua

Gregory Fenton fedora at fedoradvds.com
Fri Mar 18 11:51:14 UTC 2011

1) It's Microsoft, champion of all things Microsoft to the detriment of
everything else.
2) Financial support is financial support.  If it helps one more person make
the jump from closed to open source software then it is an achieved goal.

I tend to look beyond the immediacy of any issue and ask myself if x does y
what would the desired result be.

If Microsoft funds fedora projects they can achieve a major win almost
immediately:
"Why bother installing fedora when most of the software that works on fedora
also works out of the box on Windows? Even their own ambassadors are
changing their events to discuss the interoperability between their software
and Windows.  Why bother with installing a new OS when you can have good old
tried and trusted Windows running not only all the freeware software out
there but also all the windows apps that linux simply can't handle?"

Who wants a fedora hat with a fedora logo on one side and a "sponsored by
Microsoft (windows logo)" on the other side of it?

Unless Microsoft is willing to simply hand over the funds to support fedora
with no strings attached apart from declaring where the money has been spent
I would say "fedora is doing perfectly fine without your support, thank you
very much."