[Ambassadors] Printed Souvenirs

Onyeibo Oku twohot at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 23 07:41:52 UTC 2011

Hello Zoltan

I've been thinking.  I think it would be wrong to describe my concept as
a Fedora Handbook. Sankarshan's draft seems more appropriate for that
because it is broad.  I think we should be discussing a 'Fedora
Quick-start' *pamphlet*.  It should focus on basic usage and shouldn't
be more than 10-leaves (A5, 20 pages).  Should it be called 'Quick
Start' or 'Quick Guide'? .... I don't know, but I hope you get where
this is going.

INSTALLATION
1.It should do a snappy walk-through the installation (anaconda) and
guide the user through post-installation. About 2-3 pages should be
sufficient for this. We can have graphics overlapping pages.

FIRST EXPERIENCE
2. It should introduce the user to the panels (mostly graphics, drawings
with numbered leaders and descriptive text).

DOING THE USUAL THINGS
3. It should briefly guide the user through basic applications that they
may not be used to like, Network-Manager, Nautilus, Empathy, Gnote,
Rhythmbox, Totem, Brasero, and Evolution.

DOING MORE
4. Here the user is introduced to the concept of Repositories and
PackageKit for new installations. It should demystify the Terminal and
introduce basic BASH commands like yum. For brevity, references should
be made to dedicated materials online and the Gnome Help. The guide can
use the installation of LibreOffice as an example and talk a bit about
LibreOffice (all snappy and very brief). Introduce other packages like
GIMP, Paint and Inkscape -- a listing might do.

YAY! YOU'RE A FEDORA USER!
A quick guide to Shutting down follows. Encourage the User to explore
more through the '*Fedora Handbook*' (this is where the handbook come in).