[Ambassadors] Linux for Nigerian AEC Industry

Onyeibo Oku twohot at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 17 21:01:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 10:18 -0700, Pierros Papadeas wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Onyeibo Oku <twohot at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > The Heat is On!
> > ---------------
> >
> > In about 48hrs+ from now, I'll be giving a talk to the Enugu State
> > chapter of the Nigerian Institute of Architects on a topic titled:
> > Linux for Nigerian AEC Industry.  I finally got a slot to deliver this
> > presentation last week and it was confirmed today by another Executive
> > Member.
> >
> > Date:   19th May 2011
> > Venue:  NIA Secretariat, Enugu Chapter
> > Time:   Technical Session, 7pm
> > Turn-out: Usually >30
> >
> > I have recorded this event on the Events page. My blog also contains my
> > thoughts on this event and should be on the planet soon.  More ideas and
> > resource are appreciated.  Remember, it has to be something that
> > architects can benefit from.
> >
> > More here:
> > http://twohot.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/fedora-2/
> >
> > --
>
> Hey twohot!
>
> Thanks for attending this and spreading Fedora on that industry also :)
Its the least I can do.  Fedora has saved me a lot of trouble as an
Architect.  Fellow architects should hear about it

> You might want to consider showcasing some CAD and management
> applications hands on Fedora.
Not sure I understand what you're saying

> Blender can be used as a nice showcase as an industry standard that
> has succeeded among proprietary competitors.
Sure, its one of the Open-Source Software I will present as well.  I've
Got Fedora as the OS, LibreOffice as the Office Suite, Planner as the
Project Management (Gnome ... its lack of resource levelling
implementation is a huge minus)OR Taskjuggler (KDE based) OR PHProjekt,
Evince for PDF, FreeCAD for CADD (though DWG output is not yet
implemented but DXF files can be generated), Blender for Visualization,
QCAD for drafting (though the Linux hosted Bricscad offers better
functionality at a fraction of AutoCAD's cost)

> Is the event targeted to academics and users or also developers?
Architects Only.  Some of them are academics (lecturing Architects), some are Practising (consulting architects) and some are student architects.

> Waiting for reports and photos :)
Looking forward to that.