[Ambassadors] One word exciting! Linux 3.0 on Fedora 16!!! :) [OT]

Carlos (casep) Sepulveda casep at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 31 21:31:59 UTC 2011

2011/5/31 Juan Pablo Botero <juanpabloboterolopez at gmail.com>:
> The state of the kernel is in RC1, no stable yet,  i understand that the
> Fedora philosophy is new software in stable status, am i wrong? this kind of
> contributions are agree with the meaing of Fedora Project?

Weeeeellll...
1.- 3.0 it's just versioning, interesting versioning from x.y.z to
x.y, but versioning in the end. As in words of Linus  "So what are the
big changes? NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two
thirds driver changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is
that 3.0 is *just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a
KDE-4 or a Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features,
nothing at all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for
many years now, this is in no way about features. If you want an
excuse for the renumbering, you really should look at the time-based
one ('20 years') instead."
2.- At the time Fedora 16 is available, for sure, 3.0 will be stable
"in the linux/fedora wea", obvious.

Regards
--
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"