[Ambassadors] [legals] Media production out of the Fedora Project perspective

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Nov 4 13:45:13 UTC 2011

2011/11/4 Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>:
> Le samedi 29 oct. 2011 à 11:02:45 (-0400), David Nalley a écrit :
>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Kévin Raymond
>> <shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> > I could not find any docs about media production without ambassadors
>> > involved (nor FamSco approval).
>> > Fedora is free software, mostly under GPL, if an NPO ask me if they
>> > could sell a DVD containing only Free Softwares, as well as the Fedora
>> > Live CD included, is there any problem? I don't think so if the Fedora
>> > Project iso is not altered.
>> > Is there a difference between hundreds and thousands units?
>> > What about selling respins?
>> >
>> > Which wiki page details this?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >

>> Without seeking permission anyone may do the following:
>>
>> Provided that it's only Fedora on the media - and it's the ISOs that
>> are distributed from fp.o, no permission is needed,
>> see: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Distributing_Fedora_software_2
>>
>> If it is a combination of Fedora software and non-Fedora software -
>> then you may use the Secondary mark:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Distributing_combinations_of_Fedora_software_with_non-Fedora_or_modified_Fedora_software
>>

>> --David
>> speaking only for myself.
>

> Interesting.
> Thank you guys, I would prefere to suggest avoiding respin.
> Providing the original Fedora ISO is great. But does "software" includes
> "ISO"?
>
> If for example a DVD is burned including a Live ISO as well as some free
> sofware aside (not preinstalled in the ISO, but could be other
> distributions, free software sources…), will it needs the secondary
> mark? If the secondary mark is not needed, what would be allowed in the
> sleeves? "Fedora® included" as well as the trademark attribution
> statement?

Yes it would need to use the secondary mark in that situation.
Generally speaking, if you aren't burning one of the ISOs provided at
dl.fp.o then you need to use the secondary mark. Any additions or
changes to that would require either the secondary mark or blessing.

--David
speaking only for myself