[Ambassadors] Fedora is the 2º most used Linux system

Juan J. Martínez jjm at usebox.net
Sun Nov 27 13:17:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 14:01 +0100, Jukka Palander wrote:
> [...]
> And according my personal knowledge (by all the friends and other Fedora
> users who I know or where I have been installing Fedora) Gnome 3 is
> lacking a lot and I have installed mostly the XFCE spin. This is due the
> Gnome 3.x's really poor user interface, it's modifiability and highly
> unergonomic window management.
> Good (or maybe bad) news is that all the Ubuntu users who I know are
> totally annoyed about Unity also and they want their old style Gnome 2.x
> back!

I had the same experience. Existing Linux users seem to avoid Gnome 3
and Unity, moving to XFCE or trying other distributions looking for
Gnome 2 (this is less frequent though).

Truth is I don't know any "new user", so I can't say if Gnome 3 is
working well for them, but the non-techy users I know are certainly the
ones that express the most strong rejection of the new desktops.

> [...]
> I am really sad, because this is not Fedoras fault. I _love_ Fedora but
> I do hate Gnome 3 which is going 10 years back on usability for me. Just
> being nice looking is not enough.

I'm trying hard to adapt my workflow to Gnome 3, but as you say I'm
using the desktop in the same way I was using a window manager back in
2003 (with WindowMaker): using keyboard shortcuts.

Regards,

Juanjo

--
jjm's home: http://www.usebox.net/jjm/