[Ambassadors] Fedora is the 2º most used Linux s ystem

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 28 09:32:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 16:20 +0800, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
>> > Going towards new is good, but we should go in there by listening our
>> > users what they want. Being arrogant is not the way.
>>
>> I don't think Onyeibo was being arrogant.
>
> I did not mean Onyeibo. I meant the Gnome developers!

Please, we are not speaking about animals there, use "GNOME".

> There is loads of examples in the web explaining what features Gnome 3
> is lacking and what are annoying new and what should be improved. Anyhow
> _none_ of them was taken into account when moving from 3.0 into 3.2.
> This is being arrogant by the developers and points very well out that
> they do not (want to?) listen their users. Its all what "they" think.

GNOME 3 is a breakage in the DE world. GNOME 3 is really young, the
developers are working hard to implement new features.
They where not waiting to release a complete DE the first time. This
is a community effort and developers do what they think is the most
important/fun, for now!

>> And I also don't think we should always listen to what our users want.

+1 to Mathieu!

> HUH! Now I seriously must think if I want to be part of Fedora
> ambassadors team! This is really scary if we do not listen what people
> think and want to say! By ignorance there is only one way -> DOWN!

We could always listen to them, but think for them, as they don't
necessary know the cleverest answer.
GNOME differs to the KDE philosophy.
The 4 F's are not there for users, but primarily for contributors.
We don't have to implement Unity if many users ask us the Unity DE.

Since F15, I've seen *many* new Linux (or Fedora) users really
enjoying GNOME 3. Only few prefers other DE, and they know how easy it
is to change.

--
Kévin Raymond
User:shaiton