[Ambassadors] [legals] Media production out of the Fedora Project perspective

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:47:57 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 29.10.2011, 11:16 +0200 schrieb Kévin Raymond:
> Hi guys,
> I could not find any docs about media production without ambassadors
> involved (nor FamSco approval).
> Fedora is free software, mostly under GPL, if an NPO ask me if they
> could sell a DVD containing only Free Softwares, as well as the Fedora
> Live CD included, is there any problem? I don't think so if the Fedora
> Project iso is not altered.

Even if Fedora is Free Software, the Fedora trademark is not free. This
means you have to follow
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines

The following page is outdated, still it contains some items to think
about: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Media_Handout_Requirements

> Is there a difference between hundreds and thousands units?

No, I don't think so.

> What about selling respins?

With respins you'll get a problem with the GPL and other FOSS licenses:
Respins contain updates and not only packages from the 'Fedora' or
'Everything' repos. The updates repository however only holds one or two
copies of each package - this includes the source package, too. So when
you see the respin, the corresponding src.rpm might not be available any
longer on the mirrors. This is a violation of the GPL: You must be able
to provide the source code, either from the mirrors or on request.

This being said: Respins are ok as long as you save the corresponding
src.rpm files and add a note that people can get the source from you.
Take a look at the F15 and F16 sleeves for an example.

Regards,
Christoph