[Ambassadors] FAmSCo elections coming your way

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Oct 31 17:30:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:25 PM,  <neville at taygon.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Ambassadors,
>>>
>>> It's been a few months now since I no longer had an active role in the
>>> resource side of Fedora Ambassadors, and even longer since I was a
>>> formal member of FAMSCO.
>>>
>>> Even so, I wanted to take a few moments to write about some of the
>>> topics that I'd like to see FAMSCO take a look at over the next year, in
>>> order to make sure that Ambassadors overall is healthy, and to make sure
>>> that FAMSCO itself is providing value to the Fedora community at large.
>>>
>>> I've organized my thoughts into a few categories:
>>>
>>>... snip ...
>>>
>>> PAY
>>>
>>> Make sure that the regional Ambassador credit card program is still
>>> working, and not having any issues in terms of bill payment by Red Hat.
>>> Consider expanding the program by another 1 or 2 people, and work with
>>> Red Hat's Fedora leadership to determine the best way to do this.
>>>
>>> Keep a wiki page that lists every expense that could *not* be paid with
>>> the community credit cards, and work with Red Hat's Fedora leadership to
>>> figure out how to get those reimbursed in other ways.  This wiki page
>>> can be as simple as a list of trac tickets.
>>>
>>> Make sure that there is a reimbursment SLA that is followed by the
>>> community credit card holders and Red Hat's Fedora leadership who are
>>> able to reimburse.  Collaborate w/ Red Hat to come up with a good
>>> policy
>>> here.
>>
>> I will add here that I haven't had any problems with dealing with this
>> with Red Hat although I do feel rather in the dark about the current
>> state of the budget and this has been something bothering me all
>> along. I think we need some structure whereby community card holders
>> have a much better understanding of the current state of the overall
>> budget at frequent points in time to avoid overspending (or the
>> persistent fear of overspending that comes from being in the dark).
>>

> I totally agree with the sense of fear that comes from being on the dark.
>
> Neville

So how do we change this? (and that's not a rhetorical question)

It strikes me (from the outside, and uninvolved in all of this) that
we could best do this by delegating all of the Fedora discretionary
budget to these cardholders, then it becomes up to them to keep the
records up. (wikipage) And if anyone in CommArch wants to spend out of
the discretionary budget then they'd come to those folks and get it
spent.

Of course, I say this from the outside - I have no real visibility
into how this all really works.

Harish? Quaid? Mel? <-- want to weigh in here?

--David