[Ambassadors] Is FAmSCo still alive? (was Re: FAmSCo Report: July 2011)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:14:48 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, den 06.09.2011, 17:42 +0300 schrieb Pierros Papadeas:
> Hello all,
>
> FAmSCo indeed has problems meeting regularly.
> We cannot seem to find a single timeslot that fits us all :(

Hi Pierros,

to me it looks like this is not the only problem. If it's just the time,
then it should be possible to meet at least with a few people,
say 4 or 5, regularly instead of just once a month.

> I take full responsibility for this

It sounds nice, but what does this mean? Please don't take this as a
personal attack, I am just thinking loud because I have the very same
problem with my FESCo membership. I am very busy in my dayjob and I do
not find enough time to care about FESCo. If I don't make it for a
meeting I try to at least go through our ticket tracker and vote about
the items on the meeting agenda there. Sometimes I do not even manage to
do this, not to mention other things I'd like to do.

Usually, when I politician says he takes full responsibility, it means
he is resigning. I have been thinking about resigning from FESCo but I
decided to serve till the end of my term in November and not run again.

I think that if there are FAmSCo members who no longer want or can
participate, they should officially resign and have somebody else take
over for them. I am convinced we have enough people willing to take over
responsibility.

But as a matter of fact we don't have a policy for this in place. FESCo
has [1], the FAmSCo election rules only mention a new election if the
number of members has dropped below 5 [2]. IHMO this has happened
already with Larry leaving Fedora, Rahul leaving FESCo for other duties
and you being busy. However I am not sure if a new election at this
point makes sense. IHMO we should just do the same as FESCo - but
unfortunately it is on FAmSCo to decide so they need to meet again.

> and the only way to move things
> forward (for now) is to keep out mailing list active and have awesome
> people like you Christoph active regionally.

Thanks, I am trying my best, but this is not really a solution for
everything. Again I have spent a lot of money from my pocket for Fedora,
e.g. I paid for hotel rooms, flights and travel of Fedora contributors
and I am waiting to get reimbursed. Budget needs to go through FAmSCo,
so I am waiting for my money. :(

Regards,
Christoph

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FESCo_election_policy#Filling_Vacant_Seats