[Ambassadors] APAC Budget preparation for FY 2013

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 30 15:08:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> year is a *long* time. Only the FUDCons require long term planning and
> therefore have a detailed budget chalked out quite in advance. For
> smaller events, such as unconferences, workshops, even quite a few FADs
> (not included in this budget), the planning phase hardly takes a
> fortnight. In fact, we encourage folks to make up quick plans, get
> together, have a small event (and in the process meet up and get some
> work done). A majority of the workshops also depend on other events such
> as technology festivals in various educational institutes. Our
> contributions to such events only come in once a call for participation
> has been made.
>
> From what I can gather, at this stage, the only information that can be
> collected will be based on:
>
> * Release parties (since these should've already been planned by now)
> * Swag production for ambassadors (not event based, just regular swag
> production for the cycle)
> * Media production (again, not event based, just regular media
> production for the cycle)
>
> * Event sponsorships/attendee subsidy/special projects: very difficult
> to ascertain at the time, even for half a year.
>
> Therefore, the budget, if planned on this limited information will not
> be fit for the entire year. I would rather suggest that the yearly
> budget be based on yesteryears' expenditures:
>
> * How much did we spend in the last few years?
> * Is there an incremental/decremental trend?(Why?)
> * Plan a budget based on extrapolations of this trend, may be including
> a "buffer" or 20% extra as backup, or with the intention of getting more
> ambassadors to hold events.
>

>> Deadline for the entries = 2013 Jan 04, 23:59 UTC
>>
>> Once the budget is prepared I ll present it next APAC FAm meeting and
>> once it is agreed I can forward it to FAmSCo.
>>
>> FY13 Q1 (March 2012 - May 2012)
>> FY13 Q2 (June 2012 - Aug 2012)
>> FY13 Q3 (Sept 2012 - Nov 2012)
>> FY13 Q4 (Dec 2012 - Feb 2013)
>>
>> Thanks for your support and please do contact me if you need more help
>> or clarification.
>>
>> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-apac/ticket/49
>>

> I'm sorry I didn't jump in earlier. I'm supposed to be on vacation till
> Jan 10th[1]. It's only by a matter of chance that I checked my mail and
> caught this announcement. From the limited response to the thread and
> the ticket, I feel a lot of other ambassadors are also busy holidaying
> currently. It might be worth extending the dead line some this time (and
> maybe working on this at a different time next cycle so we don't clash
> with the holidays)?
>
> I would also like to point out that the plan for us Ambassadors[2] could
> probably be expanded to include such deadlines, details. May also be
> something that we can look into. I could come up with a plan template,
> only once I'm done holidaying though ;)
>
> Have a great holiday everyone! I'll at least check my mail regularly to

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your comments.

>From the beginning FAmSCo knew that is not an easy work. Since this is
the first time it would be hardest.
But will try our best to take the advantage.

I have already analyse the last year funding arrangements and will
post the projected budget asap.

Will keep the deadline unchanged still I see 1 response on ticket #49
though. We can discuss the budget projections in the next meeting.
Anyone who misses the deadline can submit their requests even though
after the deadline. So that we have 2nd deadline. However will try to
finalize this with in 2013 January.

Will see you with more info soon.

Enjoy 31st eve !!!!

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera (bckurera)