[Ambassadors] Project of visioconference plateform implementation

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 8 09:39:59 UTC 2012

Le mardi 07 févr. 2012 à 13:15:09 (+0000), Constantin DRABO a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> Abdel (fas:potty) and I  Constantin(fas:
> pandaconstantin) have an interesting project that we would like to submit
> to you.
> The main objective of the project is to share knowledges and experiences on
> Fedora from experienced contributors and ambassadors with local communities.
>
> *Objective of the project : *
> - Share knowledges on Fedora Project and FOSS with local communities from
> experienced contributors
> - Increase the number of qualified contributors
> - revitalize dying SIGs
> - Help to "give a name to the face" of community members
> - concretize idea from Abdel ( a answer to Maria Leandro on a ambassadors
> mailling list thread posted on  feb. 2).
>
> *How we will do ?*
> We have choosen a visioconference plateform called BigBlueButton
> http://www.bigbluebutton.org/. <http://www.bigbluebutton.org/>
>
> *What we need ? : *
> The implementation of the solution requiers a server be hosted on a
> physical server. As a tool of the community, we would like it to be host on
> a server of Fedora Project.
> We will need also consumers  (ambassadors, developers, translators, etc) !
>

> Constantin Drabo

Hi, That is really interesting.
What are the BBB dependencies (java, pyhton…?) What are the bandwidth
needs? What about the disk space?
That could rapidly be an expensive platform.

Could also be used as fedora classroom.
Could we add external video in this platform? (In France, we have
started to build a page providing video and its corresponding
sideshow (still looking for hosting)).

There is an other project that has started, "video tutorials".
Please read the wiki page[1].

We should probably have only one platform for those needs.
I am  not sure that the infra will provide us a physical machine for
that, could we think about a VM and hosting facilities under
archives.org or other free online services?

Do BBB is able to record a talk in a temp folder, stream it, and then
send it to an hosted storage? (That should not be too difficult).

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Niteshnarayan/video_tutorials

--
Kévin Raymond
(Shaiton)