[Ambassadors] [EMEA] To have a static meeting page proposal

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:43:37 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 22:42 +0100 schrieb Kévin Raymond:
> Hi all,
> Tonight at the meeting we started discussing about this topic, keeping
> the current process or moving to a simpler one.
>
> Actually, we have our meeting in the following format:
> wiki/Meeting:EMEA_Ambassadors_YYYY-MM-DD
> with a page template like in [1].

That is not correct: We are not yet using my template, we are copying
the page all the time. With my template from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Ambassadors_meeting you just
need to fill out 11 fields and add the agenda and you are done.

> If we move to a single wiki page, like wiki/Meeting:EMEA_Ambassadors, we
> could gain some advantages:
> - Don't need to look for the meeting URL on the meeting reminder, as it
>   would be static

Even of you don't know the URL you can determine it from the date.

> - Easy to check when is going to be the next meeting from the static
>   page
> - The agenda is not so different each time, we could edit it each time
>   to add/remove topics

But what do we do if the agenda is different?

> - We could add a generic link to all our meeting minutes, thanks to
>   meetbot. Like in [2]. For this to be efficient, we *need* to name the
> meeting exactly the same each time (i.e. #startmeeting EMEA
> Ambassadors).

As you can see at http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/ this hardly
ever works for any of our teams.

I also have to admit I don't understand the relationship from
#startmeeting to #meetingname. I tried to follow your advice yesterday
and just opened our FAmSCo meeting with "#startmeeting FAmSCo". After
that I ran "#meetingname FAmSCo 2012-02-22". As a result, the meeting
now shows up under
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/famsco_2012-02-22/
and there is only the txt log there.

What I find confusing is that there is no reliable relationship from the
links meetbot gives at the end of a meeting to the ones that end up in
'teams'.

> - We could use this static page to link if we setup a cron for our
>   reminder (as done on several other teams, like docs). (cron is good!)

I agree cron is good, but the date needs to be in the mail anyway, so
there is no magic involved to add it to the URL.

> The point that Christoph see is when we want to look for special
> resolution or subject. Now it is quite easy using a search engine on the
> wiki.
> But if instead of just sending the logs on the mailing list[3] we also
> copy the summary[4],

Please note that I started this 1,5 years ago. We will not be able to
find old content.

> we will only have to look on our mailbox.

I have several thousands mails in the 'ambassadors' folder - and it's
not even complete. Searching this is hard and I cannot rely on
completeness.

> The mailing list application[5] will probably help also.

Frankly speaking I am not overly optimistic about this one. The idea was
brought up nearly two years ago and even if it was part of the board's
'stratic goals' for 2011, nothing got implemented.

> Do you guys see an other advantage to keep ou current process? Or to
> move with a static meeting page?

Frankly speaking I don't see any benefit. IHMO we should try moving to
the template based meeting minutes first and if people are still
unhappy, we go for a static page.

Please don't get me wrong: I am the one to run the meetings and I have
to create and update the wiki pages every time, so I am open to
improvements and very much appreciate your suggestions. I am just not
convinced this it the right approach. In FAmSco, we recently switched
from a static page to a query in trac. We now only use
https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/report/9 and so far it works fine.

Kind regards,
Christoph