[Ambassadors] Organizing Fedora swag a bit better

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Wed Mar 21 17:41:48 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 16:49, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 16:40 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>> No vendor accepts CMYK, at
>> least here in the EU they all want Pantone. We had this with media and
>> with stickers, in fact I am not aware of a single item where we did not
>> have this problem. If it's just the Fedora logo colors, this is easy,
>> but for more difficult artwork, we continue to have problems.
>
> This doesn't make sense. CMYK is a color model. Pantone is a set of
> patented individual ink colors. There is no way, for example, to specify
> Pantone colors for any designs with photography. It just doesn't work
> like that.
>
> Think of pantone like paint-by-number. For every pantone color, you get
> an additional charge and it is a huge hassle for the printer. You could
> use hundreds of pantone colors (there is a one-to-one relationship
> between pantone colors and colors in a design) but wow, that would be
> expensive.
>
> While CMYK can be used like paint-by-number, it isn't necessarily, and
> it only relies on four ink colors at most, ever: 4. (Cyan Magenta Yellow
> and blacK) You can never use more ink colors than that: individual
> colors are % of each color mixed.
>
> Can you tell me which vendors you had trouble with? I had some flyers
> printed with a Belgian printer for FOSDEM and they didn't seem to have
> any trouble with CMYK, and I know Red Hat has materials printed in
> Europe with CMYK values without issue, so I wonder if it's the specific
> printer you talked to or the employee there who might have been
> confused, and not a Europe-wide issue.
>
> ~m

Mairin,
I think the core issue here is to have a set of designs in an easy to
use/submit fashion, so that ambassadors can produce and provide
standardised materials, be they printed in the UK, India, China,
Germany, the US or any other weird and wonderful country I missed.
Because without being a graphic designer who studied print techniques
and who did a course of practical work at a printers, the humble IT
person/General Fedora ambassador will not have much clue.
It is also just nice to send stuff off, and get the product back, that
the people were expecting.
I also noticed subtle differences in stuff produced over the years, in
terms of the dark blue Fedora colour. So there will always be minor
differences. However, maybe if everything is standardised we will see
the difference.

Also, being able to find designs with maybe instructions how to order
would be nice. (For the non-graphic designers/person who has never dealt
with print people).

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org