[Ambassadors] EMEA F17 media production

Jiri Eischmann jeischma at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 14:27:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kévin Raymond" <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>
To: ambassadors at lists.fedoraproject.org
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:51:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Ambassadors] EMEA F17 media production

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Me fellow ambassadors,
>
> it is time to request the budget and a PO for the EMEA F17 media.
>
> Historical figures
>
> || Release || Media ||   PO     || Used     || Ticket ||
> || F14     || 6000  || USD 5000 ||          || #91    ||
> || F15     || 5000  || USD 5000 || 3876 EUR || #157   ||
> || F16     || 4000  || 4000 EUR || 2448 EUR || #218   ||
>

> Observations
>
>     1. We did less and less media throughout the last years
>     2. I think we have reached the minimum. Jiri only has very few
>        media left and we still have some more events left in the F16
>        cycle. And we could have spent more media on some events. AT CLT
>        we were out of Multi Desktop DVDs and at IDLELO we did not have
>        enough either.
>     3. In the F14 cycle we had 1000 media reserved for Africa and I
>        think we should do this again.
>     4. In the F15 we had 1000 media reserved for Red Hat Czech. I think
>        they want to do this again.
>     5. We managed to dramatically cut the costs by producing in Czech
>        and placing one big order together with Red Hat. Shipping from
>        the RH office has also been extremely comfortable so I think we
>        should go for the Czech vendor again.

The release should be the 15th of May. Our big release party in France
is the 2nd of June.
If we could make it, fine. If not, coud we try to have a local
production? I could come back with a budget request soon (I am waiting
for the reply to take action).
In an other side, we could also see for the general EMEA production
here in france, as proposed for last release. Price was quite the same
as for the Czech vendor (but the vendor was shipping directly to
several location, that would be faster). Quote needed, or we don't
check and stay with last vendor?

If Fedora release is not again delayed I think we can make it by June 2nd. I'm afraid sending media directly from the vendor doesn't save much time. For example F16 media for France went directly from the vendor and they arrived about the same time as media that were delivered to our office and sent with Fedex. If we send it via Fedex we can use the corporate rate, that Red Hat has, which is significantly lower than normal prices. We also have better control over packages. We can send exact numbers, include letters for customs etc. Accounting was also very smooth. Red Hat Czech bought 1,000 DVDs and sharing the order helped both RHC and Fedora community lower the unit cost. Ordering media from abroad for us, Red Hat Czech, would be much more complicated in terms of accounting. Last, but not least, first time with a vendor is always most difficult. There were some small problems and misunderstandings that I think have been solved. We've communicated and clarified time and quality requirements, what we have to provide as artworks etc. That's something we would have to go through with a new vendor again.
Splitting the media into several orders wouldn't be very cheap, I'm afraid. The unit cost goes down with higher quantity a lot. For example normal DVDs cost almost 15 CZK per unit in 1,000 quantities, DL DVDs cost something above 10 CZK per unit in 3,000 quantity.
I'm not fighting for doing it in the Czech Republic again. In fact, it means much more work for me, but I think the advantages were worth the work.

Jiri