[Ambassadors] [Event Report] Fedora Activity Day, October 7, 2012, R.V. College of Engineering, Bengaluru

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 08:54:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

A Fedora Activity Day [1] was organized at R. V. College of
Engineering, Bengaluru [2] on Sunday, October 7, 2012. The
participants were students from the Master of Computer Applications
(MCA) department.

I started the day's proceedings on best communication practices,
project guidelines that need to be followed, and introduced the
audience to the various Fedora sub-projects that they can get started
with [3]. The next session was on version control systems, and their
importance with an introduction to Git [4]. We had a hands-on session
where the participants practised simple Git commands.

Praveen Kumar (HP) [5] then spoke about Bugzilla, and how one can file
bugs for Fedora. He also explained how to write meaningful bug
reports.

Post-lunch, I introduced them to packaging concepts and terminology.
Using the RPM packaging [6] presentation, we taught them how to build,
and test RPMs. Praveen Kumar explained the Fedora package review
process, and the various tools and infrastructure that we use for the
same.

The final session of the day was from Charles Rose (Dell) [7] who
introduced the participants to virtualization with KVM on Fedora. He
also addressed the basic concepts involved in virtualization with
numerous examples. The department lab is planning to move all their
backend services to Virtual Machines.

Thanks to Prof. Renuka Prasad for working with us in organizing this
workshop. Few photos taken during the trip are available [8].

Regards,

SK

[1] Fedora Activity Day, RVCE, Bengaluru.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Bengaluru_2012

[2] R. V. College of Engineering. http://www.rvce.edu.in/

[3] i-want-2-do-project.
tell-me-wat-2-do-fedora.http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do