[Ambassadors] Next FUDCon in APAC - Change of Process?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 03:25:03 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I think it's time to make a decision on this change and run with it.
It's been a month since the thread opened, and even longer since
Buddhike has been working on this. The release period is crawling up on
us, and it'll be good to strike out items off our TODO list already.

Buddhike, will you be available for the IRC meeting on 27th?

Everyone, who'd like to have a say in the decision, please make it a
point to attend the meeting and take your stand. If you cannot make it,
please mail the list with your opinion and we'll ensure it's pointed out
during the meeting.

I personally agree with Matthieu. I think the current FUDCon bid process
works, and works well. Like he's pointed out, you aren't supposed to
have all the work done before you bid. Instead, you're supposed to show
that your location and team is the *fittest*, and best prepared to host
the event. This does not, in *any* way imply that the other bids are not
fit enough. The winning bid just has more chances of hosting a better
event.

Again, it's most important to take the decision constructively, rather
than to feel dismayed and/or betrayed even.  The process does *not*
define how one reacts to the decision, it only helps you make it. It is
our responsibility to understand the idea behind the process.

Having only one bid, even if it's decided by the entire community has
severe limitations IMO (right from my skull):

1. Without competing bids, how do you compare costs? I.e, how do you
decide if a location is cheaper than another, when there's only one
location?

If APAC is going to compare locations before making their decision
according to the newly-proposed guidelines, how is this different from
the bidding process in any way?

2. How do you grow? The selection process is not arbitrary. Competing
bids get a chance to see what they could have done better and in the
process, learn from the winning bid.

3. Various ideas come up: Each competing bid views the FUDCon from a
different perspective giving us a wide variety of options to choose
from. The winning bidder can always request help from the competing
bidders to incorporate their ideas. *More*, *independent* ideas!

Everything has its two sides. Competition does too, so does
collaboration. The idea is to balance the two to host the best possible
FUDCon for the community.

Please try and get this decided upon ASAP. I'll see you folks at the
meeting.

Tuanta, since you are chairing the meeting. Can you please ensure that
this topic gets discussed and is given enough time? I'll add it to the
agenda.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,