[Ambassadors] APAC Web FAD proposal -> Package maintainer's wishlist clean up

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 05:26:52 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I propose a simple web-FAD to clean up the package maintainer's
wishlist[1]. It shouldn't really take up more than an hour if we have a
few people working on this.

Q. What is the wishlist?
A. It's a list of packages that fedora users would like to see in the
fedora repositories. Unfortunately, the list is not well maintained and
thus, gives inaccurate information to package maintainers.

Q. Benefits of the clean up?
A. Package maintainers will benefit from a well maintained wish-list.
It's a good place to direct prospective package maintainers too, when
they're looking for packages to get started with.

Q. How much time will it take?
A. Maybe an hour and a half, two at the most.

Q. What do I need to carry?
A. A connection to the interweb, a web browser, IRC client. Optional but
recommended: Pizza, bacon, coffee, beer, $food, $music.

Q. Why APAC specific?
A. Folks from one region are more likely to be available at a certain
time. Any one interested is more than welcome to join in, as always. :)

Q. What do I need to know?
A. Reading/writing/wiki editing. Use of package manager tools, bugzilla,
packagedb. Should have FAS account to be able to edit wiki.

Q. What do I need to do?
A. Simple workflow:
- Pick up a package listed in the wishlist
- Check if it is already packaged, or if a review ticket has already
been filed on bugzilla
- Modify wiki page accordingly.

Q. What can I learn during this FAD?
A. Using yum/$package_manager; using bugzilla; package maintainers
process; meet people, get to know your community folks, above all, *have
fun*.

Q. Future plans?
A. See if anyone would like to take over the responsibility of
maintaining the wish list. We could even repeat the FAD every month or
two.

I haven't thought of a time yet. APAC folks, are you up for it? Please
reply with a date and time that is convenient to you. Sometime this
week, Wednesday/Thursday would be nice.

Please forward the e-mail to other APAC regional mailing lists. I'm
cc'ing the Join and India lists.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainers_wishlist
--
Thanks,