[Ambassadors] Effective SWAG distribution/ management with in APAC

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 25 17:56:33 UTC 2012

Hello Folks,

In May the F18, FAmSCo term has started which I was a member. Now it
is almost 4 months has gone and around 2 months to go for the release
F18.

There was two goals[1] at the beginning, one was to improve the SWAG
production and distribution with in the APAC region and the next was
to facilitate and represent fellow FAms in much efficient way. (donno
what you think  )

I do believe that I will providing better representation and
facilitating for the FAms from APAC.

However I am still working on the first goal which is hard to achieve,
but I ll be doing my best.

The plan I have came with so far is as follows.

Currently there are 18 countries with in the APAC region.

Australia
Bangladesh
China
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Japan
Malaysia
Myanmar
Nepal
New Zealand
Pakistan
Philippines
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam
(excluding following countries since they are almost dealing with EMEA
Cyprus, Jordan, Saudi Arabia)

With in the region there are diversity of the tax and shipping
overheads therefore “Distributing through a central point” is not the
best strategy for APAC. However my plan is to produce SWAGs in bulk
and distribute them in a central point which is the FUDCon in the
region holding yearly. Since most of the FAms from most of the
countries in the region, are participating I think that would be
feasible. So once a year SWAGs (such as stickers, buttons, straps ….)
will be produced and distributed via the FUDCon.

In APAC the scenario is totally different than NA or EMEA since the
countries are largely seperated geographically. Therefore local
production would be the best possible alternative. However FUDCon is
used as the central point as all the FAms are gathering yearly.

It is better to produce media themselves locally. I think that would
be the best possible way to address the tax and shipping costs. In
such case it is possible to open a ticket on the fedora-apac trac[2]
and move for the production. Since the revised “Reimbursement
Guideline” is in effective[3] there would not be much difficulties.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Planning for the next SWAG production will start soon.

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2012-July/019928.html

[2] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-apac

[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/APAC/Reimbursement

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera (bckurera)