[Ambassadors] Next FUDCon in APAC - Change of Process?

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 28 07:25:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta at iwayvietnam.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hello Tuan,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

My suggestion was based on following facts,

Everything has two sides advantages and disadvantages. As you said "If
there are some competitions, preparation would be better and we face
to have a better event.", but at the other hand competitiveness is not
always doing good. How about getting motivated through work together
rather the competitiveness? Since we are FOSS communities we are
talking much about collaboration but now why a competition?

Since you note about democracy I think that is good APAC regional
contributors decide which team should host rather than a small team
like FAmSCo. I agree with you and that is why my suggestion was there.
The current process is: Calling for bids, regional FAms make comments
on teams, FAmSCo votes and elects a team, that may be different than
what regional FAm agreed, based on that FPL announce the next host. Is
that the democracy you meant?

But I cannot understand preparing best with lot of hard work and then
at the last moment saying "Your team is rejected" how this cannot be a
waste? Yes I think that is good learning point. But what happen if
they demotivated and give up next time with no bidding? As I noted
every thing had advantages and disadvantages. So we need to find out a
best way to select where the next FUDCon is.

The next thing is every team who is interested is well motivated and
ready to take the challenge. But we need to make sure that it is the
best place to host FUDCon. If we need to spread the project in some
specific country or territory we can use the FUDCon as the starting
point, in that case even though the local team is no that good enough
we can support them and make the FUDCon success, in a bidding process
is it realistic?

My suggestion is to make the best decision. Our attempt is not to
measure how capable teams are. We need to **pick the best place that
need more attention and development**. It should be a strategical
decision rather than focusing on the best team with best activeness.
That is why we need to replace competitiveness with collaboration
since we are a FOSS community, I think we need to **get motivated not
by the competitiveness but with the collaboration**.

If we dont have that attitude i think it is time to develop it.....

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera (bckurera)

Email: bckurera at fedoraproject.org | IRC: bckurera | User: Bckurera