[Ambassadors] Next FUDCon in APAC - Change of Process?

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 28 09:20:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Mathieu Bridon
<bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Friday, September 28, 2012 03:25 PM, Buddhike Kurera wrote:
>
> Why would FAmSCo go against the opinion of the regional leadership?

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for your inputs.
I mean it is not happening but as per the process it can be.

> I think you don't understand the current process.

I did understand and witness it last year :)

> Teams are supposed to submit a bid before review and decision. They are not
> expected to have everything done.
>
> The latter would be a huge waste indeed, the former is not lost as very few
> things would need redoing for a subsequent bid the next year.
>
> A bid is the **description** of the local city, expected prices, ease of
> travel to and from, etc...
>
> It does not imply having reserved the location, paid for the equipment,
> etc...
>
> Most of the work happens **after** having been selected.
>

>> If we need to spread the project in some
>> specific country or territory we can use the FUDCon as the starting
>> point, in that case even though the local team is no that good enough
>> we can support them and make the FUDCon success, in a bidding process
>> is it realistic?
>

> I don't see why that would not already be possible with the current process.
>

>> We need to **pick the best place that
>> need more attention and development**. It should be a strategical
>> decision rather than focusing on the best team with best activeness.
>

> Well, there actually needs to be a local active team.
>
> I mean, it would be awesome to have a FUDCon in Hong Kong for example. That
> would be a really great opportunity to grow the local community, it's easy
> and cheap to fly here from all over Asia, it's a door to China,...
>
> But there's no local team, so you may decide that Hong Kong is the most
> strategic place to have a FUDCon next year, it still won't happen. I'm not
> organizing a FUDCon alone.
>
> All in all, you seem to be confused about the current process.
>
> First, for some reason you seem to think that there is a lot of work which
> goes to waste if a team is not selected. That's not true, the work really
> happens after having been selected.
>
> Secondly, you seem to think that the current decision process takes only
> into account one criteria (the strength of the local community organizing
> it), and you seem to want to replace it by only another one (the strategic
> importance of the location).
>
> I think both are important, and can be carefully taken into consideration
> when deciding, along with other important criteria (affordability,
> geopolitical conditions, ...).
>
> And reading the wiki pages, it seems to me that the current process already
> allows for taking all these criteria into account.
>
> Now it might not be how it happens in practice, but then it is an
> implementation problem, not one with the documented process.

That means there is practical difficulty?

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera (bckurera)

Email: bckurera at fedoraproject.org | IRC: bckurera | User: Bckurera