[Ambassadors] Community Credit Card Stats 2012 and some thoughts ; )

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 17:45:40 UTC 2013

Christoph Wickert píše v St 02. 01. 2013 v 18:32 +0100:
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2013, 16:43 +0100 schrieb Joerg Simon:
> > posted some thoughts on statistics and some budget stats - maybe it
> > helps the budget planing
> >
> > http://kitall.blogspot.de/2013/01/fedora-community-credit-card-2012.html
>
> Hi Jörg,
>
> thanks for digging into the numbers and creating these statistics. I
> agree they are very valuable.
>
> Let me comment one some things you raised in your blog post:
>
> The problem with the FAmSCo reports was that cost is too much time to
> produce them. We didn't discontinue them because we don't think they
> were not important any longer, but simply because it was too much work,
> especially when they were done monthly. If there is a way to produce
> them easily and it this process is documented, we could think about
> bringing them back.
> Even if we don't, we should have an annual report. I don't care how it's
> done, but we need to have some numbers and some kind of retrospective:
> What has changed in the last year? What have we achieved and where did
> we fail? I think this is the most important question.
>
> You say you don't see our community develop. I don't think this is true,
> I think we need look more carefully. The total number of ambassadors or
> the number of new applications are just two indicators. There are many
> more: The number of regional meetings held, the number of FAmSCo
> meetings, the attendance in these meetings, attendance at events, and
> many more I forget at the moment. And looking at these numbers, the
> situation is different: We had more regional meetings and more FAmSCo
> meetings than ever before and we had more people attending (details to
> come).
>
> Then there is another important number: Money. You are pointing out that
> in the 7 of 2011, community credit card have spend more money for than
> in the complete fiscal year 2012. This is basically the aftermath of Max
> leaving which caused a lot of trouble. Short version is: There was a
> transition of the budget to another person. This person had problems
> with the book keeping and FAmSCo had no idea how much money was spent.
> At some point, we were told that we had no money left (or only $5000 for
> the rest of the year) and therefor we dramatically had to cut the
> expenses.
>
> This turned out to not me true. In fact we had a lot of money left but
> did not spend it. As a result, the budget for 2012 was lower. Then there
> was the transition from Red Hat's Community Architecture team to the new
> Open Source and Standards group, which also caused delay and confusion.
> But I think we've cleared it up, at least from the FAmSCo side.

And this is the main reason for the budget planning effort because it's
much better if you have a clear idea how much you can spend.

> What do we learn from this?
>       * The community needs more power. Having too much power in the
>         hands of a single person can become a problem when this person
>         disappears. We should distribute power and workload on more
>         shoulders.
>       * We need better controlling. We need to track our expenses.
>         Ideally,  FAmSCo should be in the position to figure out how
>         much was spent without having to ask somebody.
>
> Jörg, your statics are a good start and will help us a lot to achieve
> this. Thanks a lot for your work!

I also thank Jörg for a great report. Hopefully, we'll make a good job
in budget planning for FY2014 and next year we can combine these figures
of actual expenses with planned expenses and it will be even more
interesting and helpful.

Jiri