[Ambassadors] Call for tester/feedback on fedocal

David Ramsey diamond_ramsey at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:33:56 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone,

Greetings. :)

Pierre and others, thank you for your e-mails.  :)

> Lately, I have spent sometime working on a web-application that would allow us to manage calendar: fedocal.

Understood.

> I started with the idea to replace the #fedora-meeting wiki page [1] which in addition from not being up to date relies on a mediawiki table which a number of person find really hard to handle/edit.

Understood.  I strongly believe that any content "wiki, waki, or whatever" which is not updated is never to anyone's advantage.

> Additionally it should be able to handle meeting reminder in a consistent and automated manner.

That would be great.

> I also had in mind to be able to have a calendar for the infrastructure, things like planned outage and all.

I like that idea.  Will "infrastructure" people update this?

> I spoke with some person about this at the last FUDCon in Paris and they told me, it might be interesting to have a calendar also available for the ambassadors. Something that could/would replace the Events page [2]. This means that on the contrary to the #fedora-meeting calendar, the ambassador one can have several meetings at the same time and that we should be able to assign them to a region (EMEA/APAC/LATAM/NA). I took this into account and added the desired functionality to fedocal.

Would multiple "events" for EMEA and APAC on the same day and at the same time be possible?

Would the "metrics" needed by FAmSCo on quarterly basis of events be easily accessible from this interface?

> I think I am now close to an alpha release so I would like to call for tester and feedback.
> Do you like it?
> Do you find it useful?
> What should be added?
> What simply doesn't work?

Is(are) there available test user(s) accounts to try and "add," "change," as well as "delete" calendar entries?  I think a few accounts, let's say, one per region for testing may be useful to see how things look with populated data from a timeframe such as a Release Date.  Food for thought.  :)

Questions:

* If the Meetings page [1] goes away and is replaced by this, how will the current agenda's be accessible to us as well as "non regular" Fedora Users?
* If the Events page [2] goes away and is replaced by this, then will the Reports and Photos links be accessible to us as well as "non regular" Fedora Users?
* I tried the "test" calendar link and clicked up a few years and I saw
this sample 2016 data at the [3] URL.  Will meeting entries have a "stop" date?

> All can go to fedocal's trac:
> http://fedorahosted.org/fedocal

Good.

> If you are interested, I also wrote down some documentation:
> http://fedocal.rtfd.org

+1 for documentation.

> And of course, fedocal itself:
> https://fedocal.dev.fedoraproject.org

> It is still a very young project and I am still trying to determine if we want this and if it fits our needs.

That makes sense.  When the next update occurs, then please ask for a review and feedback.  I will examine accordingly.

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting_channel
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events
[3] https://fedocal.dev.fedoraproject.org/list/test/2016/

Sending positive Fedora energy to your computers now.  :v)

Please have a Great Fedora day and/or evening! :~)

Thank You

Sincerely

=-=-=-=-=

- David -

=-=-=-=-=

David Ramsey

---------------------------------

十人十色
じゅうにんといろ

10 people 10 colors

Different strokes for different folks

=

Fedora Project's Japan & Maryland Ambassador dramsey at fedoraproject.org
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Dramsey
With sixteen (16) x86_64 computing cores, 80 GB of RAM and eight SATA
Seagate 7200.12 - 500 GB harddisks.
With sixty-four (64) x86_64 computing cores, 256 GB of RAM and 1TB harddisks.
The system definitions are at the following URL:
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Dramsey#Using_embedded_code_have_updates_automatically_done_for_running_systems.27_status

=