[Ambassadors] Brief Report on Poster Competition

Mark Terranova Markdude at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 5 21:14:01 UTC 2013

I was under the impression that the event was approved by it's region- as
well as being supported by many of us in Fedora leadership :( I had hoped
we had moved on, but...

I do not appreciate reading things like:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/aligarh-girl-and-mother-killed-for-wearing-jeans-pants-by-a-mob/1/279749.html
http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/why-india-is-the-worst-place-for-women/
 etc.

For the record, I was unhappy with both Fedora folks in this poster event.
I was unhappy that a few Fedorans were not asked for feedback on the exact
wording. I feel that *if* this were done- reasonable folks would have
offered good suggestions. We really can "do better" with feedback, it helps
promote this worthy cause. It would have also helped reach out to more
people to not use off-putting words.

Tbh, I actually took more offense at the person that chose to *blog* over
trying to resolve this in a respectful manner. We solve all sorts of things
out by being discrete and not going* public* as first response. This matter
could have been EASILY sorted out in a private manner.

This WAS/is an APAC matter, but the public blogger has chosen to keep this
going,,,,, :( *Stand down* Let it go. As a fellow Mentor, we are held to a
higher standard. This event was *approved* by +5 votes (and my ceremonial
+1). The language WAS changed after it was asked. There was also a lengthy
admonishment, and explanation of how feedback will help AVOID this in the
future (in a meeting no less). At this point, the only action
attacking/insulting/inflaming - is my *peer*- questioning quite a few folks
"sanity".

Please let it GO :)