[Ambassadors] Angika (anp) is endangered : Initiating l10n of Fedora in Angika

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 09:29:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 17:46 +0530, Rajesh Ranjan wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Rajesh,

I'm sorry I missed the mail. It went into my spam folder somehow!

> As per the UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World’s Languages in
> Danger, Angika (anp) [1] is in the vulnerable state. This is sad but a
> fact. I firmly believe on the statement that with a language not only
> the language dies; with the language, history, intellectual and
> cultural diversity and cultural identity also die. So need is to
> preserve the huge loss of precious human languages that are dying one
> by one.

I agree with you. I'm from Bihar/Jharkhand and would like to help with
this initiative that you've undertaken. Unfortunately, I was at boarding
school throughout my formative years and therefore didn't learn Angika.
I do know how to read and write Hindi though, so it shouldn't be very
different/difficult I'd hope. What can I do to help? Do you know any
others that will be interested in l10n?

> I want to work for creating Fedora in Angika language with the help of
> the community. Hope the community here will support me as well. Angika
> is commonly written in the Devanagari script [2].

You should join and start talking to the l10n team if you haven't
already done it. They should be able to tell you how to get started.
I'll see if I can find any people who know the language and could help
you out.

> [1].
> http://www.unesco.org/culture/languages-atlas/en/atlasmap/language-id-1202.html
> [2]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angika_language