[Ambassadors] FAmSCo F21 Elections

yn1v at taygon.com yn1v at taygon.com
Wed Feb 12 16:23:02 UTC 2014

El 2014-02-11 15:15, Marcel Ribeiro Dantas escribió:
> Hello there Fedorans :-)
>
> The results for the FESCo and FAmSCo elections were publicly announced
> earlier today in the link at the bottom of this e-mail[0]. I would
> like to formally congratulate and wish success to our fellow
> contributors Truong Anh Tuan, Neville Cross and Jon Disnard for their
> successful running for FAmSCo. This wasn't my time to have a chance,
> but I'd like to remember everybody about something very important in
> the FLOSS community! Pretty often there are many opportunities to
> contribute in very different ways. In Fedora, this isn't different at
> all. If there's an opportunity, don't lose it! And that's what I did.
> So I'm happy that I tried to have a seat in FAmSCo and that I have met
> and talked to so many nice people on the way :-)
>
> I'd like to heartily thank everybody who supported my candidature and
> also those who convinced me it was worth trying. That makes me more
> inspired to keep doing the work I have done and even more. I have sent
> a similar message to the brazilian ambassadors mailing list showing
> how I feel happy with the results. We still have two LATAM ambassadors
> in FAmSCo (Luiz Bazán and Neville), and apart from that, Neville who
> just got elected has such a long experience not only in Fedora but
> also in FAmSCo (3rd or 2nd time elected). So I'm sure a nice work is
> going to be done, strengthening the astonishing work Alejandro Perez
> has done.
>
> Once again, thanks to everybody. It was a very nice experience running
> for FAmSCo and it was awesome to get contacted by some people about
> it, to discuss things with people I haven't had the chance yet and so
> on. I even feel more Fedora today, for having experienced such a nice
> experience.
>
> Success to FAmSCo and to its new elected contributors.
>
> 0 - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/famscof21 [1]
>
> Best regards,

As LATAM, I think that we are evolving. We moved from irregular meetings
on the social/support channel #fedora-latam to be in one of the
#fedora-meeting channels with a regular schedule. This has bring some
good things and some not so good. Regular meetings is a point of
reference and now people can see that regional meeting is where
decisions are made. We have a mixture of Spanish, Portuguese and English
in our logs. Some translations delays discussion. Having more English is
good because our logs are more easy to follow from people beyond our
region. Obviously it has raise a barrier for those ambassadors that are
not proficient in English. It is not the same writing an email with
spell check help than the quick back and forth on IRC. I expect that
meetings will be held increasingly in English to avoid translations. I
hope this encourage more collaborators to practice English, it will help
them to engage in other aspects of our Project. Regional meeting
participation is a way to strength our community. In the end, FAmSCo it
is unlikely to go against a regional call.

I do not see much change in what I have been doing to support LATAM so
far. I expect to have a great challenge to keep Alejandro dutiful work
with budget, but surely he will be close to help all of us. I am really
happy that we now have someone from NA. I don't see relevant how many
people are from each regions, but it is really good to have at least one
people from each region. From budget perspective, Jon will have a task
to improve communication about the budget planning form NA. For sure
other regions than NA will have to pitch in part of their budget for
global expenses, that has been taken only form NA budget so far. This
change is not my idea, but I strongly agree with it.

I do agree with Marcel, I feel that this election has increase
interaction among people. Which is great, as this will lead to better
exchange toward contributions in the near future. We should keep up the
good work, there is no small contribution.

Best regards

Neville