[Ambassadors] Discussion: revoking ambassador status

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 14:33:00 UTC 2014

inode0 píše v Čt 27. 02. 2014 v 07:52 -0600:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> > Hmmmm. excatly.
> >
> > Let's say me!
> >
> > I do no do IRQ-meetings, I hardly ever write into the list. I do not go
> > to the events (because there are NONE in the Southern Spain and it is
> > far too expensive to go elsewhere). I do not create events because I do
> > not have money or time to do it.  ....and I do not do "this and that".
> >
> > What I do, is; I use Fedora every day, I install it in every place where
> > I can (and see it possible/feasable/....) and I do spread Fedora
> > media/word/information all over the places where I go. Sometimes I go to
> > the business meeting presenting completely something else and having
> > Fedora polo on and I may "accidently" test the Fedora website when
> > testing the Internet connection and whatever pops into my mind.... and
> > then sometimes I am known as a "linux man". People say "hey, there comes
> > the linux man -please behave now....". Then I try to explain "no, not
> > really a linux guy. rather I see myself as a FOSS man, standardization
> > man, keep things simple and effective man, a Fedora man"..
> >
> > I must be a baaaaad and inactive person. Maybe not an Ambassador after all?
>
> Hi Jukka,
>
> Seems every few years we go down this path and it upsets a lot of
> people and there is a lot of debate over defining what makes someone
> active or inactive and it hasn't ever resulted in doing anything
> beyond upsetting people that I can recall. Even in areas where
> activity is fairly easy to define I don't know of any other group that
> kicks people out for taking a break and not causing trouble.
>
> I can't imagine how anything good will come from pitting one group
> against another which will be what happens when a group of ambassadors
> in one country/region decide to try to remove the membership of other
> local ambassadors.
>
> Be friends. When some ambassadors stop being active however you define
> that you can step in and fill the void.

Hi John,
I was a big opponent of removing ambassadors in the past. Or more
precisely I didn't think it was worth the hassle.
But after hearing more and more complaints from ambassadors about the
issue and with the experience that this issue is brought up at pretty
much every FUDCon/Flock or other gathering of ambassadors I think it at
least needs to be discussed broadly.

Originally, we wanted to use some automated mechanism such as checking
the last time stamp when the ambassador logged into FAS. Because if you
haven't logged into FAS for, say, 2 years you're not probably around the
project any more. If you met such a condition all that would happen to
you would be an "inactive" flag that would remove you from the public
list of ambassadors, but you would remain a member of the ambassadors
group, and you could change the flag back to "active" any time.
Unfortunately our infra don't log such information.

The regular password change request is also a good idea. It actually
served the purpose quite well last time we used it because it cut off
ambassadors who didn't care about the project enough just to change
their passwords. And that's the kind of members we're aiming at with the
proposal. No one beyond that. No one shouldn't be removed and ideally
even nominated for removal because he/she hasn't organized enough
events, sent enough messages to mailing lists, participated in enough
IRC meetings.

Jiri