[Ambassadors] Discussion: revoking ambassador status

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Thu Feb 27 17:27:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:12:28PM +0000, Tristan Santore wrote:
> I think some people are taking the whole Ambassador thing way too
> serious.

I think this touches on the reason why this comes up every couple of years and
cannot be resolve, and likely why it will not be resolved.

We have around the project a large amount of contributors from different
backgrounds and cultures. Each culture values the 'ambassador' titles
differently. For some it is just something making their life easier to get
goodies to distribute or give them a little more weight when speaking at FOSS
events, while for other it is seen as a honorific title that should be
deserved. In which case having people that are no longer 'active'/reachable
keeping the title leads to an unfair situation (b/w the person that are active
and don't have the title and thos that are not but do have the title).

To be honest, I am not sure we can find the solution that fits everyone.
Maybe a solution would be to treat this regionnaly. If a region feels there is a
need to clean its ambassador list because it leads to confusion for new-comers,
then maybe, in agreement with FAmSCo, that region should do it.
On a case-by-case basis basically.

My 2 cts,
Best regards,
Pierre