[Ambassadors] Travel Sponsorships for Flock in EMEA

Gabriele Trombini (mailga) mailga at fedoraonline.it
Fri Jun 6 14:54:38 UTC 2014

In data venerdì 6 giugno 2014 16:31:23, Jiri Eischmann ha scritto:
> Hi,
> I've received several requests for travel subsidies to go to Flock
from
> EMEA ambassadors.
>
> Let me start a discussion about it:
>
> Our regional budget is not intended to sponsor people to attend
premium
> events. Those events have their own separate budget and we don't
have
> any money allocated to this purpose in our budget. On the other
hand, we
> have some reserves in the budget and we could sponsor several
> contributors (it's definitely not limited to ambassadors) if we decided
> so.
> But if we decide to do such a thing I'm proposing to stick with our
> principals: the applicant needs to have a very strong reason to go to
> Flock. Every time we sponsor someone to go to an event it's not
because
> they want to attend the conference, but because they have a talk,
run a
> workshop, staff a booth, meet team members to get things done.
Because
> all speakers are covered by the Flock budget, what is left is
> participating in "get things done" sessions and organization (if
someone
> is actively involved in the Flock organization and want to help on
site,
> too).
> As much as I'd love to see every Fedora contributor at Flock we have
> reflect the reality that our resources are limited. So this sponsorship
> should be an exceptional thing.
>
> I'd love to hear your opinions. We will certainly discuss it at the next
> regional meeting on Wed.
>
> Jiri

Hi guys,

I'm glad to read this mail from Jiri, in order to clear up what Flock is.
I admit I don't understand why Flock is an event reserved to speakers
when FUDCON was a contributors event.

I know Flock is a premium event and the sponsorship can't be
managed by EMEA region, that's correct, but I can't agree with the
target.

In that way the attendees are only speakers and they have many ways
to share ideas by all the channels in use (e.g. IRC, ML ecc.).

Yes, we could follow discussions and topics as well, but sometimes
people are not able to follow ML that have dozen of posts through
several days.

Flock (and before FUDCON) is a great way to keep people updated
about decisions taken by the Project itself and cutting sponsorship to
the people would like attend means the Project will be self-referenced.

Is that the way we follow?

I don't like spend my holidays in Prague (or everywhere else), but I'd
like spend some days for keeping me updated about future
developments of the Project.

Greetings.

Gabriele