[Ambassadors] Discussion: revoking ambassador status

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:40:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jiri Eischmann píše v Út 25. 02. 2014 v 11:07 +0100:
>> Hi,
>> yesterday we had a long discussion about whether we want to have a
>> mechanism to remove completely inactive ambassadors or not. This issue
>> is brought up again and again, so I think it's time to discuss it
>> properly and eventually make a decision.
>>
>> You can find more in this ticket:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/358
>>
>> Feel free to comment (ideally in the ticket to keep all discussion
>> there), express your opinion, propose modifications, or even different
>> solutions. You input is welcome.
>>
>> Jiri
>
> Hi,
> I'm bringing an update on this issue. Based on the discussion in this
> mailing list and in the ticket, we decided that any manual process for
> removing "inactive" ambassadors is a no-go.
>
> Pingou of Fedora Infra offered us a tool that would help us achieve what
> we originally wanted to achieve.
>
> The combination of FAS logs and datagrepper (that covers attending IRC
> meetings, using tracs, sending emails to mailing lists, voting in Fedora
> elections, writing blogposts in FP,...) can identify ambassadors who
> haven't had any sign of online activity for the given time period (in
> FAmSCo we agreed on 18 months, but it's still open) and may not be
> interested in the project any more.

I would like to discourage voting in elections from being a factor as
that has never been treated by Fedora as public information and I
really don't like the idea of tracking contributors voting behavior
even for internal purposes. There isn't any reason I can see to risk
leaking this information when in order to vote you need to login to
FAS anyway so you'll be covered by FAS logs. If voting records aren't
really being looked at here beyond the FAS login that was required to
vote then it is better to not mention it which would raise some
eyebrows.

> Those ambassadors would be notified by email that their account is going
> to be flagged as inactive in e.g. 14 days. To avoid it, they can just
> log in to FAS and they're fine for another 18 months.
>
> I'd like to emphasize that no one is going to lose ambassador
> membership. If someone meets the criteria and doesn't react to the
> notification message his/her account will just be flagged as inactive
> and his/her name won't be in the public list of ambassadors, but he/she
> will keep the membership and can become active again just by logging in
> to FAS and changing the status to active any time after the deadline.
>
> It's not meant to judge someone's activity, it's more like "we haven't
> seen you around online for some time, give us a wave if you're still
> interested in the project".
>
> In FAmSCo, we agreed this is a non-invasive solution with pretty much no
> additional bureaucracy that would solve the problem. But we'd again like
> to know your opinion.

This is a much improved plan I think but it doesn't address case 1 in
the ticket that started this discussion at all and I'm not sure it
really addresses case 2 since it leaves membership in the ambassador's
group unchanged. I'm going to assume removal from public lists of
ambassadors satisfies those who raised this though.

I'm fine with doing this.

John