[Ambassadors] fedora council: heads up, ambassadors :)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:55:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> One particular thing of note is that Outreach is much larger in scope than
> Ambassadors has traditionally been defined. This doesn't mean we're putting
> those other areas of under the _rule_ of the ambassadors' steering
> committee, but we would like someone who can also help _represent_ those
> concerns and act as a bridge. I was particuarly struck by Christoph
> Wickert's "Advocating Fedora.next talk at Flock *, where he talked about
> getting the project message down into the on-the-ground ambassadors and out,
> and I've had talks with others (hi there, Andrew!) about how disconnected
> it can feel right now, so hopefully this will help.  And not just in one
> direction — this is an important conduit for getting real-world feedback and
> user experience back into the project.
>
> We didn't discuss this in much depth on the Board, but a further idea worth
> considering is expanding FAmSCo into a Fedora Outreach Steering Committee,
> explicitly embracing and including all of project outreach. (Or creating a
> new such committee with FAmSCo below that, but I don't think _more_
> committees is necesssarily a good thing.) This would help keep the
> cross-group burden from just being on one person. What do you all think?

It won't be any surprise to Matthew but for everyone's benefit I am
strongly in favor of creating a Fedora Outreach Steering Committee
that serves a similar role as FESCo but covers all the areas of
outreach. I really think this committee could help all the folks in a
wide variety of outreach roles to communicate and coordinate
activities and messages much better than we've done it in the past.

John