[Ambassadors] LISA (was Re: FAMNA Meeting Minutes for 9-25-2014)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 26 12:52:27 UTC 2014

On LISA, here's what I know:

Red Hat is going to be a sponsor, and will have two booths. One will be for
RDO, oVirt, GlusterFS, etc. The suggestion is that the other be shared
between Fedora and CentOS. Since LISA is a sysadmin audience and likely to
be using a lot of mixed Fedora/CentOS/RHEL, this makes good sense to me. (We
*could* spend Fedora money on our own booth, but.... I'm inclined to take
* advantage. Maybe if it goes really, really well, we could expand next
* year.)

Red Hat is sending Stephen Gallagher to work the booth and talk about Fedora
Server, and Stephen Smoogen to do the same and discuss both in general and
EPEL in particular. This is funded by OSAS, but *not* out of the Fedora
budget. This also gets us a Birds-of-a-Feather evening session, which
Stephen is going to use to present Fedora Server.

I talked to Ruth about the budget, and there *is* money in the budget which
we could use to send John Rose (inode0) or another interested ambassador.
(I'm very in support of sending at least John.) Andrew, I'll call and talk
to you about budget as soon as things settle down around here wrt Shellshock
and so on (they'll settle down, right?). Joe Brockmeier is coordinating this
for Red Hat, and knows the specifics of what Red Hat's sponsorship gets us
in terms of passes (as I understand it, unlimited expo but not necessarily
sessions — I'm not opposed to funding that for John but I don't know how you
guys normally do it).

As for the possibility of losing things: it happens. (Although as I
understand it, the only time it happened was last year, not actually a
perpetual problem.) In any case, this is a conference I think we really
should be at to help promote Fedora Server and Cloud, and Fedora Atomic. If
we do happen to lose things, consider it to be occasionally an unfortunate
extra cost. (And I guess a chance to buy new shiny booth stuff.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>