[Ambassadors] Promoting other distributions and conflict of interest

Eduardo Mayorga Téllez mayorga at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 26 03:16:41 UTC 2015

El 25/02/2015 5:56 pm, María Leandro escribió:
> Hello all
>

>> What I'm trying to avoid are so called collectors of titles.
>
> Aja, This is the main issue. If someone has 1000 titles but has earn
> them all, then it's fine. It's just a matter of see if the person is
> contributing actively in everything that he/she claim be part of; and
> if not, make him/her earn it.

I hardly believe someone with more than one or two "titles" would
perform properly at all of them, ie. remain active. I mean, it's
sometimes difficult to find time for FOSS volunteering when you're in
just one community…

> I use Fedora as my main OS, however, I have been hosting an event that
> brings every Open Distro to the table for about 8 years; so, it should
> be more a "have you earn it?" question. Remember that an ambassador
> should become one "only" when he has proved that deserves the title,
> not because "he/she might deserve it".

I think we should make more clear what "to deserve" means. One might be
qualified at the application moment, but should also stress *commitment*
and involvement in several communities would be a red flag. Then, to me
"to deserve" includes to show commitment.

Moreover, anyone is free to promote Fedora without holding a "title".

> Ambassador should be a prize, not something to catch potential
> contributors.

+1

Eduardo

--