[Ambassadors] Marketing requirements - what do the ambassadors need?

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 07:25:46 UTC 2015

Robert Scheck píše v Po 15. 06. 2015 v 22:13 +0200:
> Hello Ankur,
>
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2015, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > For example, would product specific flyers be something that can be
> > used at events? Should these be release specific like this one:
>
> this might sound quite harsh but I want to be open: I think, we do
> not need
> flyers for Fedora at all. I am visiting lots of trade fairs and
> conferences
> a year, either as visitor, as speaker or as exhibitor. And when you
> look to
> the trash bin at the fairground you will find a lot of them there
> finally,
> the other ones usually end on the trash bin at home - at least for
> me. The
> flyers are from my point of view just marketing stuff that do not add
> real
> value to a product, while a high-quality pen (that may works for
> years) is
> doing so (I still have some very old marketing pens from trade fairs,
> that
> are really well to handle and at writing). Flyers are wasting paper
> except
> for a very very less percentage, because the world gets more digital.
> Think
> about yourself: What are you doing if you get yet another marketing
> flyer?

And that's completely fine. Flyers have a short lifespan, but that
doesn't mean they don't work.
If someone even takes it home and at least looks at it and then throws
it away, it sounds almost like a success story :)
While if you give someone, who is not familiar with Fedora, a pen, it's
just a pen with some weird "Facebook" logo on it. That's it, it doesn't
convey any information. Probability that someone would look at Fedora
because of a pen he/she finds in his/her bag after he/she returns home
is practically zero.

Not mentioning that the costs
of a flyer and a quality pen are not even remotely comparable.

Jiri