[Ambassadors] Marketing requirements - what do the ambassadors need?

Andrrew Ward award3535 at tds.net
Tue Jun 16 23:55:48 UTC 2015

I have brought this up many times in the past and was basically told
this wasn't my
responsibility and it belonged to marketing. Many FAMNA meetings I discussed
having some flyers and distributable items containing information on the
product.
Even a small presentation that we could use at events that shows the
various
products.

I tried to get a feel for what the ambassadors were looking for in
Media, both
written propaganda on whats new with the latest version of Fedora, what is
upcoming, etc.....

I got nothing from anyone in marketing. When I started as an ambassador
the event box was packed with flyers (produced by Marketing) with different
features currently included in the latest distro. So what happened since
then.

Presentation at events is 99% of what we do. A good presentation draws
people. The human is a visual animal first, then you can appeal to the mind.

USB drives are a good idea for those truly interested in the product. The
"ooh Free stuff" only draws those who only care about getting free stuff.

Prime examples of the person who isn't interested in the DVD media and just
wanders by to pick up  what ever is on you table, when you ask the person
if they have any questions about what they just picked up, the reply is
whats on the
disk?

The others pick up many items at once, usually grab a handful of items
and just walk
away even though you try to ask them they just keep walking away.

In my experience with events shows that if you have a presentation
whether it be
a laptop running something that shows abilities/slideshows/videos on what
Fedora is all about you will start a ripple effect of those who ask
questions.
With printed media on features, programs, etc.... you can give the person
visual, mental, and reference-able answers.

v/r
Andrew Ward
award3535 at fedoraproject.org
award3535 at tds.net