[Ambassadors] Fedora Budget.next -, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 5 23:20:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 03:01:45PM -0500, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:
> > 2) it lists Quarterly Budgets, so if we are under budget on one
> > quarter do we keep that money or (use it or lose it) is it lost?
> No. The only "use it or lose it" window, as far as I know is on a Fiscal
> year basis (March to February), not a quarterly basis.

I got the impression at the call we had with Ruth that there's also a
half-year checkpoint now where things should be spent by the end of
August. Did I misunderstand that?

That said, we _don't_ want to lose it when we get to the either that
point or the end overall, so the quarterly checkpoints give us an
opportunity to re-allocate. If the region doesn't have a specific good
use for unspent funds at that point, we can apply it to somewhere that
does (either a need in another region or a non-regional request).

> [...]
> added to the budget.fp.o wiki page too for future reference.
>
> Looking Forward,
> --RemyD.
>

> > Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:35:35 -0500
> > From: Remy DeCausemaker <decause at redhat.com> <decause at redhat.com>
> > To: ambassadors at lists.fedoraproject.org,
> > 	famsco at lists.fedoraproject.org, 	Discussions with the Fedora Council
> > 	and community	<council-discuss at lists.fedoraproject.org> <council-discuss at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> > Subject: [Ambassadors] Fedora Budget.next -
> > 	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next
> >
> > Ambassadors,
> >
> > As some of you may be aware, there have been some changes to how Budget is
> > proposed and allocated for the coming fiscal year. This conversation has
> > been happening on the Council-discuss list, and through meetings with
> > members of the OSAS team:https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-discuss/2015-October/013742.html
> >
> > With input from the council, OSAS, and other Ambassador Leads, I've taken
> > the results of these budget meetings up until this point, and the
> > discussions around FOSCo/FAMSCo, and created a wiki page to help explain
> > our best understanding of how things should work going forward. The policy
> > seen here is a blend of the results from public discussions and meetings
> > over the past year on mailing lists, in IRC, and at FLOCK:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next
> > **tl;dr** - We're proposing 3 delegated roles in each ambassadorial region
> > for treasurer, logistics, and storytelling. We're keeping our reimbursement
> > and other policies as close to the same as possible. There is a now
> > quarterly budget timeline with scheduled FADs and planning. There will be a
> > webpage available in the near-ish future at http://budget.fedoraproject.org
> > where folks can find the budget and policies related to it.
> >
> > This is not a permanent, set-in-stone policy, but we need to start
> > somewhere, beginning with the new budget year (FY17) and the next Fedora
> > Release (F24.) We can always come back and tinker and change what is on
> > that wiki page, but for now, this is what we'd like to propose to close the
> > loop on budget.
> >
> > Please read the wiki page, as the daemon is always in the details, and we
> > can use as much informed input and feedback as we can get. I'm hoping to
> > spend about a week gathering feedback, and then move forward implementing
> > these new budget processes together with all of you
> >
> > Thank you Ambassador Leads and fellow council members for your early input
> > and efforts on this. Your feedback helped to round off some of the rough
> > corners, and provided a consistent reminder to adhere to the Fedora-way of
> > defaulting to open.
> >
> > This formalized regional approach to budget is the first step in working
> > out a larger community-wide strategy around integrating subprojects and
> > other Fedora constituencies with eachother--but that will be a whole nother

Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora Project Leader