[Ambassadors] Fedora Budget.next - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:11:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> A few comments/questions.
>
> - I would almost prefer to see premier events not be split out
> separately, and instead force the Council to transparently allocate
> them from their budget.  This would lead to a very large budget for
> the Council on paper, but it allows us 1) provide transparency around
> what we view as important enough to spend money on, b) gives us
> greater flexibility overall to cover events which are going to vary in
> cost.

It isn't quite clear to me if the Fedora Premier Events are still
intended to be the responsibility of OSAS or of the Council. I think
moving them to the Council, whether lumped with Discretionary Council
Budget or not would be good for transparency and Council flexibility.

> - How are the three regional budget delegates going to be chosen?
>
> - Is there an education and review plan to make sure they are
> successful in these roles?
>
> - What happens if there is difficulty getting 3 people to volunteer
> for these roles?

I suspect this will be a problem after the excitement of something new
wears off.

> - Reimbursement after an Event Report doesn't work very well for
> premier events.  The attendee has already traveled to the event and
> had their accommodations covered for the most part.  That is typically
> because they have submitted an accepted talk or some other valuable
> contribution to the event itself.  You might wish to rephrase this a
> bit.

Event reports being required for reimbursement doesn't work that well
for lots of situations. And expecting reports with any sort of
useful/valid impact analysis to be presented within two weeks of an
event is unreasonable. I'm not sure the people we send to an event to
promote Fedora are necessarily the best people to do impact analysis
anyway, but that is way too short of a window to do much that is
meaningful.

I think we would maybe get better reports if we asked for one report
per event rather than one report per funded person per event and if we
involved marketing/magazine writers to help present the activities at
the event rather than relying solely on exhausted ambassadors to do
this immediately after an event.

> - With only one guaranteed travel accommodation included as a benefit,
> I fear we're going to run into difficulties deciding who gets that
> benefit out of the three.

Yeah, potentially three people do something and one based on some
unknown factors gets a big benefit - recipe for unhappy campers.

John