[Ambassadors] the "premier" label [was Re: Fedora Budget.next - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next]

Gerold gerold at lugd.org
Sat Nov 7 08:40:12 UTC 2015

Am 07.11.2015 um 01:01 schrieb S.Kemter:
> Hi,

> <mailto:mattdm at fedoraproject.org>>:
>
>     On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 09:11:45AM -0600, inode0 wrote:
>     > > - I would almost prefer to see premier events not be split out
>     > > separately, and instead force the Council to transparently
>     allocate
>     > It isn't quite clear to me if the Fedora Premier Events are still
>     > intended to be the responsibility of OSAS or of the Council. I think
>     > moving them to the Council, whether lumped with Discretionary
>     Council
>     > Budget or not would be good for transparency and Council
>     flexibility.
>
>     >From the wiki, the word "premier" label means:
>
>      * organized by the Fedora community
>      * all about Fedora
>
>     I find this a little odd, because the word literally means "most
>     important or best", and I don't think that's actually what we mean.
>
>     My preference would be to not use this label for FADs. If we want to
>     keep using the word, let's call Flock _the_ premier global Fedora
>     event, and FUDCons premier regional events. I don't think we even need
>     a special term for FADs.
>
>     And, I think *some* FADs make sense from the central community budget
>     (whether we call that the Council budget or something else), while
>     others — like the ambassadors' planning FADs — make sense to me to be
>     part of the regional budgets directly.
>

> then they will not happen, they eat easily a third of the regional
> budget. But there is still need for them.

^^
as long as you are a one-man-show, responsible for your own and just
your own budget and reimbursement I absolutly agree Sirko.
BUT if you take care and be responsible for a wider area as well as more
events and people, it is imho mandatory that you get all responsible of
each country (either they are nominatd or not) to one place to get
things and numbers done. And it is worth, that such a meeting happens
because it brings a quality of numbers which are the budget for Red Hat
for a complete year with a difference of maybe 10% between forecast and
reality. This is what we did in the past years when FAD Rheinfelden in
EMEA happened.

Gerold