[Ambassadors] the "premier" label [was Re: Fedora Budget.next - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next]

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:45:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 09:56:11AM -0500, Ruth Suehle wrote:
>> We've discussed this before, but I'll point out again that Flock came
>> out of the NA and EMEA FUDCons. If it is indeed the premier /global/
>> event, APAC and LATAM have two premier events, including one annually
>> each, and NA/EMEA have one that is only on their own continent every
>> other year.
>
> I really feel like three (or four) regional events aren't, in total, as
> valuable as a global one. (Just as a Flock that brings people from EMEA
> and NA together every year is better than having a double-sized FUDCon
> in each region every other year.)
I agree. They are not as valuable. As I see it, it is not only about
meeting up fellow contributors. A lot of important discussions happen
at Flock. A lot of teams try to have FAD around Flock. Now many
contributors from APAC or LATAM, who want to be part of these
discussions, cannot be there due to budgetary restrictions.

> I know, though, that gobal travel is very expensive. I'd love to hear
> people's ideas. What do you (and everyone) think about rolling APAC and
> LATAM FUDCons in too? Maybe even rotating between all four regions?
I would love to roll all the Flock and FUDCons into one. For me,
location is not important. Many of us would be fine if it happens more
times in EU, because (i think) travel would be cheaper. Basically any
locations works. Let us just put contributors from all regions
together.

> Then, maybe we _do_ spend a little more on social events for
> contributors in the other regions durning the years where Flock isn't
> there, as bonding time for contributors who can't make the trip. And,
> for user outreach, focus on non-Fedora-centric events combined with a
> new meetup strategy.
+1.
For outreach, what we have eventually observed (I think Sankarshan
pointed it out) in India, is that smaller targeted events, where
mentorship is offered, are more helpful. Fedora's infra team has seen
good benefits from this. Cloud WG is also seeing a bunch of guys from
APAC volunteering for certain tasks. This addition in user base and
eventually contributor base happened largely because of existing
contributors promoting Fedora in smaller, non-Fedora-specific events
and then helping out new comers to get onboard.