[Ambassadors] Contributor Growth and events [was: Re: FUDCon APAC 2016 proposal]

sankarshan sankarshan at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 17 05:16:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
<siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Flock is not just a better FUDCon.  It has a budget that is about 3-4
> times that of a FUDCon and touts itself as the premier contributor
> event.

It would be a pity if "Flock is a better FUDCon" because the corollary
is "FUDCon is a bad Flock". Instead of going down that zero-sum path,
it would worthwhile to have structured discussions around outreach and
how the project itself can accrue value by gaining more contributors
(and mind-share).

Organizing a FUDCon (like the PP) at a place with minimum contributor
presence without looking at a plan for a build-up to the main event
does make it capital intensive. Local speakers (who are absent) are
supplanted by speakers who have flown in. It may make for a good
event, but I would think it makes for a shaky foundation to sustained
growth. If large events like FUDCon are not creating enough impact,
what alternatives exist to ensure that there is growth. In fact, do we
know for sure that there is lack of growth? Can we look at what other
OpenSource projects are popular in the region and attempt to build
alliances? Do we do this already?

/s

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay