[Ambassadors] FAD Singapore 2015

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:58:34 UTC 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 10:42, Harish Pillay <harish.pillay at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be more comfortable if there was an element of technical discussions
> including quick hacks, doc sprints, 101-type talks to get newbies on board.
> With the presence of Ambassadors from the region (even if one per city/country)
> the opportunity for the local enthusiasts to meet and network should not be
> wasted.

That is a good point but from experience of the budgeting FAD last
year, it seems difficult to squeeze all of that into two days.

At last years FAD, we had made a list of events that we wanted to
budget Fedora presence for in advance.  During the FAD we discussed
each of them to arrive at an amount in USD that we would want to
spend, including how we want to spend it.  Once we had that, we moved
on to swag budget allocation and finally we had a single figure that
we then compared with what we had and spent last year.

The events discussion itself took over a day and a half (I have
realized that it is hard to get consensus on these things) and we
basically just rushed into swag budgeting without putting too much
thought into it.

Also, we have a limited budget when it comes to flying people in.  It
was tight in Cambodia and I imagine it will be tighter in Singapore.
So if the FAD has a broader agenda than just budgeting then we might
have the additional headache of deciding between people who will be
involved in budgeting and people who want to do (and are very capable
of doing) a technical talk.  The way to resolve this might be to
primarily focus on the budget and if any of the budget participants
happen to have technical topics they can or want to talk about, let
them do that.  However, it is still a hard decision to make.

> So, here's what I would like to propose for the two days:
>
>   a) Launch/Release of Fedora 23

This really doesn't need ambassadors from all of APAC to be there and
from the PP experience, wastes half a day that could have been
utilized in doing something more interesting like technical talks or
hands-on sessions.  So it might be better to have this outside of the
FAD, maybe closer to it if anybody who is coming to the FAD can fly in
early (managing their own additional expense) and attend this.

Unless of course you want to merge this with the social event.

>   b) Special interest topics around F23/Cloud/Atomic etc
>   c) barcamp topics
>   d) Budget planning sign offs; resolution of critical outstanding issues

+1

>   e) Planning for FUDcon 2016 (and 2017)

+1 as a secondary topic, since we have spent way too much time on it this year.

Siddhesh
--
http://siddhesh.in