[Ambassadors] F23 media production (in EMEA)

Francesco Frassinelli fraph24 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:47:39 UTC 2015

Il giorno mer, 14/10/2015 alle 17.44 -0400, Jiri Eischmann ha scritto:
> We can go with the same amounts again, at the regional meeting,
> someone suggested that we should go with a lower amount. In this
> case, it would make sense to only produce the minimal amount of
> Workstation ones.

+1

Workstation and Alternate DVDs went equally well here in Italy: I was
thinking if it could be possible to have a single DVD with Workstation
plus some popular environment coming from Alternate.

As robyduck said, if we are going to produce F23 Alternate DVDs we
cannot include every environment due to space restrictions, so, in both
cases we have to make a decision about what should be included and what
not.

I understand that it sounds like a strange proposal, that it could be
too late (and I'm sorry for that) and that maybe it could weaken the
Workstation brand, but we had something similar in the past (multi-live
DVDs) and we could use the whole DVD space. That means we could have a
single medium, produce 1000-2000 of them, spending less, and allowing
people to try/install some alternative environments if they want to.

> * we've released a 'Getting Started with Fedora' handbook, it doesn't
> include any media with Fedora, but tells users how to create one and
> provides much more info about Fedora. And it's very close to DVDs
> price-wise: https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/getting
> -started-with-fedora-handbook/

I really like it and it seems like the vast majority of the Italian
community would prefer handbooks over DVDs.

I have a few questions about the Getting Started with Fedora handbook:
1. I don't understand Czech, but I see no reference to Fedora four
foundations: is it correct? I think it will be nice to have a brief
introduction on what is Fedora and how it differs.
2. If local communities could translate the handbook in no time, when
they could be shipped? It would nice to have them for our release
parties.
3. What about placing it on live DVD desktop? I know, I think too much
about unused DVD space :)

Thanks for your work,
Francesco Frassinelli (frafra)