[Ambassadors] F23 media production (in EMEA)

Francesco Frassinelli fraph24 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 09:22:11 UTC 2015

Il giorno gio, 29/10/2015 alle 09.55 +0100, Gerold ha scritto:
> > * Gerold [29/10/2015 09:08] :
> > >
> > > And also, every ISO we produce is outdated because she is not
> > > up2date
> > > and
> > > need to be updated. Have you ever done it in the past? After a
> > > fresh
> > > install from DvD you need to download tons of bytes to be
> > > updated.
> >
> > The upside of this is that you don't have to run the QA process
> > every few weeks on an updated ISO.
> >
> > > Why we don't announce, that we have on every event a Maschine,
> > > where
> > > everyone can get his own ISO (no matter on which media)?
> >
> > The french team has done this in the past. It ended up being a very
> > slow
> > process (to the point where we had to ask people to come back to
> > reclaim
> > their usb keys). It's also a bigger drain of human ressources (it
> > was
> > impossible to do if we had only two people manning the booth).
> >
> > Emmanuel
> ^^
> Bonjour Emmanuel,
>
> well done! why you don't let the requester do it by his own to get
> "his
> version" and flavour? You/we can maybe provide blank DvD's (and maybe
> just
> sleeves) and a PC with a burner inside, and till he waits for the
> creating
> the Boot-DvD or Boot-USB key you can get in touch with him, ...
> it also creates a possibility to talk to them who just come and take
> :-)
> We did several years ago with Fedora 8 at Linuxtag in berlin and the
> burn
> station was the absolute Hype. That big, that also the local LUG came
> and
> helped us with burning (we were in the mouth of everybody) ...

I really like your idea for the reasons you explained.

I think we should have a software which allows multiple media creation
at the same time. I am more concerned about concurrency than speed,
because if people can't produce their media at the same time, they'll
ask ambassadors to do it for them while they're away ("oh, there are 5
people in line, could you do this for me? I'll come back later"). If
this happens, we'll get almost no human interaction and we are just
media producers.

If we use one (or more) big USB hubs and a special software for a self
service machine we could easily solve this problem, but is not the same
for DVD burning (we cannot have many DVD burners). We can assume that
in the future less people will request DVDs. We can ask them to bring
theirs USB drives and keep the DVD burner as fallback.

Two questions for you:
1. Should we provide a self-service machine, where, in the meanwhile,
we talk with people, or should we produce the media?
I prefer the first option, because I prefer to talk with people and
replying to theirs answers than taking orders for media creation ;)
2. How do you think it will looks like? Like a standard laptop/pc with
a "Fedora burning machine" logo, an ARM board inside a Fedora carboard,
or what?
I think that we could make something very nice and friendly with a bit
of imagination and creativity :)

--
Frafra