[Ambassadors] F23 media production (in EMEA)

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel at seyman.fr
Thu Oct 29 11:13:09 UTC 2015

* Gerold [29/10/2015 09:55] :

> well done! why you don't let the requester do it by his own to get "his
> version" and flavour? You/we can maybe provide blank DvD's (and maybe just
> sleeves) and a PC with a burner inside, and till he waits for the creating
> the Boot-DvD or Boot-USB key you can get in touch with him, ...

In pratice, this was a laptop (mine, usually) with a DVD burner and a USB
cable in which people could plug their USB keys. The machine was hidden by
a cardboard sign explaining what they would be getting.

One problem with this setup is that it's quite bulky. The sign was a hassle
to transport (and, sure enough, I broke it at one point). Another was that
this required somebody to operate the laptop. We never experimented giving
usb-creator to the user and telling them to figure it out themselves but
I'm pretty sure the results would be disastrous.

Parinux (the local LUG) has a burning tower (essentielly, a tower with
a DVD-ROM drive and 5 DVD burners stacked on top of each other). I believe
it's only being used once or twice. Again, it's troublesome to carry around
and people much prefer the officel media to pressed DVDs.

Emmanuel