Fedora Weekly News 214

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Mon Feb 22 18:55:26 UTC 2010

     * 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 214
           o 1.1 Announcements
                 + 1.1.1 Fedora Announcements
                       # 1.1.1.1 Call for Participation - Fedora 13
Talking Points
                 + 1.1.2 Fedora Development News
                       # 1.1.2.1 Fedora Release Engineering Meeting
                             * 1.1.2.1.1 Fedora Release Engineering
Meeting moved to 2100 UTC on Wed
                             * 1.1.2.1.2 Fedora Release Engineering
Meeting moved to 2100 UTC on Wed -- Make that 1800 UTC on Friday
                       # 1.1.2.2 CVS Outage Notification
                             * 1.1.2.2.1 CVS Outage Notification
                             * 1.1.2.2.2 CVS Outage Notification -
                       # 1.1.2.3 Fedora 13 Branching (and thus freezing)
tomorrow
                       # 1.1.2.4 Fedora 13 Software Translation
                       # 1.1.2.5 New packaging policy: privilege
escalation policy
                       # 1.1.2.6 Fedora 13 has been branched!!
                 + 1.1.3 Fedora Events
                       # 1.1.3.1 Upcoming Events (December 2009 to
February 2010)
                       # 1.1.3.2 Related Events
                       # 1.1.3.3 Past Events
                       # 1.1.3.4 Additional information
           o 1.2 Planet Fedora
                 + 1.2.1 General
           o 1.3 Marketing
                 + 1.3.1 Marketing Meeting Log for 2010-02-13 and 2010-02-19
                 + 1.3.2 F13 Talking Points
           o 1.4 Ambassadors
                 + 1.4.1 Fedora at SCALE 8x
                 + 1.4.2 Fedora 12 is here
           o 1.5 QualityAssurance
                 + 1.5.1 Test Days
                 + 1.5.2 Weekly meetings
                 + 1.5.3 Fedora 13 Alpha test compose validation
                 + 1.5.4 Privilege escalation policy
                 + 1.5.5 Security spin QA
           o 1.6 Translation
                 + 1.6.1 Fedora Transifex v.0.7.4 Open for Testing
                 + 1.6.2 Progress on QA Test of Fedora L10n
                 + 1.6.3 Midnight Commander and SSSD Translations
                 + 1.6.4 New Members in FLP
           o 1.7 Artwork
                 + 1.7.1 Artwork for Fedora 13 Alpha
                 + 1.7.2 Some More News on the Design Suite
           o 1.8 Security Advisories
                 + 1.8.1 Fedora 13 Security Advisories
                 + 1.8.2 Fedora 12 Security Advisories
                 + 1.8.3 Fedora 11 Security Advisories

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 214 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 214[1] for the week ending February
21, 2010. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

In Announcements, we start off with an invitation to contribute Fedora
13 Talking Points from the Fedora Marketing team. Also of note is the
Fedora 13 branching and freezing that happened last week, and
announcement of a new privilege escalation policy for Fedora packaging.
In news from the Fedora Planet, details on how libvirt deals with
different CPU models and passing on their capabilities to guests, a
discussion on the value of having a target audience for Fedora, how to
update your system BIOS without having to use Windows or a USB stick,
and announcement of a new utility, gnome-speaker-setup. We're pleased to
welcome Neville Cross to FWN to cover the Fedora Marketing Team
activities for FWN. Neville's beat this week includes pointers to the
Team's meeting last week as well as more internal detail on the Fedora
13 Talking Points, mentioned above. The Ambassador's beat includes
coverage of last week's Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE 8X) con in
California. In news from the Quality Assurance team, details on last
week's team meetings, as well as the first Test Day in some time, this
on Color Management, also updates on Fedora 13 images and a new Security
Spin. In Translation news, announcement of Transifex v.0.7.4 for testing
on the Fedora staging server, progress on the QA test of Fedora 13's
L10n, and an update on Midnight Commander's availability for
translations. In the Art/Design beat, updated details on Fedora 13
artwork including wallpapers, and testing results of the new Design
Suite spin. Security Advisories provides last week's security patches
for Fedora 11, 12, and for the first week, Fedora 13. This rounds out
FWN 214, enjoy reading!

We're also pleased to note the availability of Fedora Audio Weekly News
(FAWN), an audio version in Ogg Vorbis format for a few past FWN issues
that one of our contributors has begun. Find it on the Internet
Archive[2] and have a listen!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[3]. We welcome reader feedback: fedora-news-list at redhat.com

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue214
    2. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22FWN%22
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project,
including general announcements[1], development announcements[2] and
Events[3].

Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam

    1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/
    2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

--- Fedora Announcements ---

---- Call for Participation - Fedora 13 Talking Points ----

Robyn Bergeron announced[1], "Talking points are key highlights of the
new release. They should be compelling, but they will not necessarily be
comprehensive. There are different types of talking points for different
types of people: general desktop users/everyone, developers, and
sysadmins. For the Fedora 13 cycle, we will also have talking points to
address some of the Spins. They are meant to provide a short, effective
answer to the question, "What cool stuff is in the latest release of
Fedora?"

Each cycle, the Marketing team compiles a short list of approximately
three talking points for each of these audiences for the upcoming
release. For Fedora 13, they're found here:

[2]

If you have a talking point that you feel meets the criteria found on
the talking points SOP page at [3], add it to the the table on the F13
page with supporting information. Please make your contributions and
changes on the wiki page, so that the Marketing team can efficiently
capture and consider your input.

The Marketing team will make final adjustments to the list of talking
points at their meeting on February 23, which will be announced on the
marketing list and is open to everyone. If you are interested in
attending the meeting, the agenda, location, and time details can be
found at [4]. Following the meeting, the finalized list of talking
points will be announced, and posted to [5].

We welcome you to participate in the process!"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-February/002770.html
    2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_points_SOP
    4. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_meetings
    5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points

--- Fedora Development News ---

---- Fedora Release Engineering Meeting ----

----- Fedora Release Engineering Meeting moved to 2100 UTC on Wed -----

Jesse Keating announced[1] on Monday, February 15,2010 at 16:47:52 UTC
2010, "We've moved the time / day of the release engineering meeting to
Wednesdays at 2100 UTC. I've updated the meeting page accordingly. See
ya there!"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000567.html

----- Fedora Release Engineering Meeting moved to 2100 UTC on Wed --
Make that 1800 UTC on Friday -----

Jesse Keating reannounced[1] on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 03:49:46
UTC 2010,

"Whoops, we didn't have all the feedback. We've instead moved it to 1800
UTC on Friday. See ya there!"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000568.html

---- CVS Outage Notification ----

----- CVS Outage Notification 2010-02-17 00:00 UTC -----

Jesse Keating announced[1], "There will be a CVS outage starting at

To convert UTC to your local time, take a look at [2] or run: date -d
'2010-02-17 00:00 UTC'

Affected Services: CVS / Source Control

Unaffected Services: Everything else.

Reason for Outage: The CVS server will not accept connections so that we
can mass-branch for Fedora 13.

Contact Information: Please join #fedora-admin in irc.freenode.net or
respond to this email to track the status of this outage."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000569.html
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UTCHowto

---- CVS Outage Notification - 2010-02-17 00:00 UTC ----

Jesse Keating announced[1] on Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:00:45 UTC
2010, "The outage is now over, more mail to follow regarding the changes!"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000573.html

---- Fedora 13 Branching (and thus freezing) tomorrow ----

Jesse Keatingannounced[1] on Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 06:53:37 UTC 2010,
"Tomorrow (or well the day after tomorrow to some of you) we will be
branching off F-13 in CVS. This will start at 00:00 UTC on Feb 17. After
this point, when the outage ends, all builds for Fedora 13 will happen
from the F-13/ branch in CVS. All builds must go through bodhi in order
to make it into Fedora 13. When you submit your build to bodhi, please
push to testing first, as it will allow your peers to test your update
before it makes it into the Fedora 13 tree.

For those of you who maintain a critical-path package, net positive
karma from releng and/or QA plus at least one more net positive karma is
required before your package can move out of testing and into Fedora 13.
We're still working on the wiki documentation for all of this, but hope
to have a good chunk in place tomorrow.

Builds from devel/ will continue to be pushed to rawhide each night and
devel/ can be considered open for Fedora 14 development items.

[2] has some info about the upcoming change and base information we'll
use when editing the other wiki pages."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000570.html
    2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan

---- Fedora 13 Software Translation ----

Noriko Mizumoto announced[1] on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 08:22:41
UTC 2010, "It is 16-Feb today, Software String Freeze. All Fedora
translators are expecting NO more String change in any Fedora13
packages, and looking at to complete as many translation as possible
from now on till the translation deadline. Please make sure that POT is
up-to-date with latest strings."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000571.html

---- New packaging policy: privilege escalation policy ----

Adam Williamson announced[1] on Tuesday, February 16,2010 at 21:39:10
UTC 2010, "This is to announce that the privilege escalation policy
which has been under discussion and revision in the QA and development
groups, and in FESCo, for the last few weeks has been approved at
today's FESCo meeting[2].

The policy can be found here for now: [3]

Please take it into account in future packaging work.

I believe the policy should be referenced in the packaging guidelines:[4]

and should be renamed to: Packaging:Privilege_escalation_policy

However, I do not have the privileges to perform either of these
actions. If someone with the appropriate privileges could do these for
me, it would be appreciated."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000572.html
    2.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-02-16/fesco.2010-02-16-20.00.html
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation_policy
    4. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

---- Fedora 13 has been branched!! ----

Jesse Keating announced[1] on Wednesday, February 17,2010 at 04:10:17
UTC 2010, " That's right folks, we are now branched for Fedora 13. What
does this mean to you? Well that depends on who "you" are, here are some
"you"s that we wrote about: [2]

The real take away here is explained at [3]

The upshot is that if you want to get a build into Fedora 13, you gotta
build from F-13/ and you gotta put it in bodhi. The good news is that if
your package isn't critical path, it's just like any other update in
bodhi, you decide when it goes stable. If it's critical path, releng or
QA will have to give it karma, but that means somebody will look at it!
(We're working on ways to make it more visible to the user that your
package is critical path).

There are new paths on the mirrors too:

pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide <-- this is the new home of
rawhide. Builds from devel/ go here. This is now the F-14 development
ground.

pub/fedora/linux/development/13 <-- this is the branched Fedora 13.
Builds from F-13/ that make it through bodhi as stable show up here.
This is what we'll use to make the Alpha, Beta, Final release and all
the snapshots in between and the nightly attempt at instllable images.

pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/13 <-- this is where the testing
updates go for the branched 13. Test 'em here before they go to stable.

For a better picture, see [4]

I have disabled the rsync part of the rawhide compose process so that I
can do things by hand tomorrow and ensure we don't screw up the mirrors,
so you'll see a delay in things. We'll also do the branched tree compose
by hand as well and then sync the output at the same time to preserve
hardlinks. It'll be a fun day! Hop by #fedora-devel if you've got
questions and somebody will try to help you.

Welcome to the world of No Frozen Rawhide!!!"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-February/000574.html
    2.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan#Use_Cases
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Branch_Freeze_Policy
    4.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan#Tree.2FRepo_Overview

-- Fedora Events ---

Fedora events are the source of marketing, learning and meeting all the
fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the
following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!

---- Upcoming Events (December 2009 to February 2010) ----

     * North America (NA)[1]
     * Central & South America (LATAM) [2]
     * Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
     * India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

    1.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q4_.28December_2009_-_February_2010.29
    2.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q4_.28December_2009_-_February_2010.29_2
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q4_.28December_2009_-_February_2010.29_3
    4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q4_.28December_2009_-_February_2010.29_4

---- Related Events ----

RHCE Loopback in Washington, DC

On Thursday, February 25, 2010, Red Hat will hold a free, informal
conference for RHCEs, offering information sharing on a variety of
topics at Busboys and Poets on 14th Street. Complimentary dinner will be
served, and more details are available[1].

    1. http://www.redhat.com/rhceloopback

---- Past Events ----

Archive of Past Fedora Events[1]

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/PastEvents

---- Additional information ----

     * Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
     * Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
     * Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by
community members.
     * Organization -- event organization, budget information, and
regional responsibility.
     * Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
     * LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.

-- Planet Fedora --

In this section, we cover the highlights of Planet Fedora[1] - an
aggregation of blogs from Fedora contributors worldwide. This edition
covers highlights from the past three weeks.

Contributing Writer: Adam Batkin

    1. http://planet.fedoraproject.org

--- General ---

Daniel Berrange explained[1] how libvirt deals with different CPU models
and passing on their capabilities to guests. "Every hypervisor has its
own policies for what a guest will see for its CPUs by default, Xen just
passes through the host CPU, with QEMU/KVM the guest sees a generic
model called "qemu32" or "qemu64". VMWare does something more advanced,
classifying all physical CPUs into a handful of groups and has one
baseline CPU model for each group that’s exposed to the guest...libvirt
does not like to enforce policy itself, preferring just to provide the
mechanism on which the higher layers define their own desired
policy...In the 0.7.5 release that will be in Fedora 13, there is
finally a comprehensive mechanism for controlling guest CPUs."

Nicu Buceli displayed[2] the different concepts for Fedora 13 artwork.

John Poelstra discussed[3] the value of having a target audience for
Fedora, as well as concerns with stagnant download numbers for the
distribution.

Stephen Smoogen looked at[4] and its many different target audiences.
"Looking through the long conversations, it is clear that some people
are talking about Fedora the distribution, others are talking about
Fedora the community, Fedora the websites, Fedora the desktop, or even
Fedora the hat. Very few people go into what they are talking about and
everyone seems to assume that the other person knows exactly what is
going on in their heads."

Máirín Duffy revamped[5] the authconfig-gtk/system-config-authentication
dialog, described as "a box of chocolates GUI, meaning 'you never know
what you’re going to get'" since, among other issues, it "allows you to
check off as many and whatever identity and authentication methods you
desire, even if the combinations make no sense."

Mark J Cox disclosed[6] some interesting statistics for security flaws
in Red Hat Enterprise Linux. "During the creation and review of the list
we spent some time to see how closely last years list matched the types
of flaws we deal with at Red Hat. We first looked at all the issues that
Red Hat fixed across our entire product portfolio in the 2009 calendar
year and filtered out those that had the highest severity. All our 2009
vulnerabilities have CVSS scores, so we filtered on those that have a
CVSS base score of 7.0 or above."

Charles Brej described[7] how you can update your system BIOS without
having to use Windows or a USB stick.

Josh Bressers examined[8] an MSDN Blogs post titled "Microsoft's Many
Eyeballs and the Security Development Lifecycle". Josh concludes "The
original article I'm mostly disagreeing with here concludes with the
usual old data that Microsoft releases fewer security advisories than
Open Source does. This is of course a red herring meant to distract the
reader. They've been caught multiple times only releasing one advisory
for multiple flaws. With closed source, there isn't a good way to tell
what's all getting fixed. In Open Source, we can't hide anything, it's
all there. This keeps us honest."

Although probably only a coincidence (Planet Fedora generally doesn't
usually spend very much time being hostile to Microsoft), Richard W.M.
Jones explained[9] "Why the Windows Registry sucks ... technically".

Lennart Poettering created[10] a new utility, gnome-speaker-setup. "The
tool should be very robust and even deal with the weirdest channel
mappings."

Zoltan Hoppar announced[11] "OsmocomBB: A Free and Open Source software
project to create a Free Software GSM baseband firmware"

    1.
http://berrange.com/posts/2010/02/15/guest-cpu-model-configuration-in-libvirt-with-qemukvm/
    2. http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2010/02/braking-for-alpha.html
    3.
http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/getting-fedora-out-of-the-if-then-loop/
    4.
http://smoogespace.blogspot.com/2010/02/fedora-and-its-many-audiences.html
    5. http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/authconfig-gtk-ui-revamp/
    6. http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/20100216.html
    7. http://brej.org/blog/?p=346
    8. http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/181-I-am-an-Infinite-Monkey.html
    9.
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/why-the-windows-registry-sucks-technically/
   10. http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/speaker-setup.html
   11.
http://el-camino-in-linux.blogspot.com/2010/02/announcing-project-osmocombb-open.html

-- Marketing --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Marketing Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Neville A. Cross

--- Marketing Meeting Log for 2010-02-13 and 2010-02-19 ---

Meeting logs [1] and notes [2] for the 2010-02-16 Fedora Marketing
Meeting are now available.

All Marketing meetings and notes are open to the public. [3]

    1.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-02-16/fedora-meeting-1.2010-02-16-20.03.log.html
    2.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-02-16/fedora-meeting-1.2010-02-16-20.03.html
    3. Marketing Meetings

--- F13 Talking Points ---

The Marketing team is looking at dates for F13 deliverables, and at this
moment it is time for Talking Points [1]. There were a first call by
Aamir A. Bhutto [2] and then some additional comments to reinforce this
call by Paul Frields [3] and Robyn Bergeron [4]. Those messages were
integrated on Talking Point Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) [5]. The
Marketing team has taken a lot of effort on writing SOP for all
deliverables for any release, hopefully next time everything will run
more smooth. Finally, an official call has been made [6] that will be
posted in other lists inviting other groups to pitch in the F13 Talking
Points.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-February/011722.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-February/011728.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-February/011736.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-February/011737.html
    5.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_Points_SOP#Send_out_call_for_Talking_Points_pick-apart-and-make-nice
    6.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-February/011750.html

-- Ambassadors --

In this section, we cover Fedora Ambassadors Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Larry Cafiero

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

--- Fedora at SCALE 8x ---

Larry Cafiero reports that the Southern California Linux Expo SCALE 8x
was a huge success for those running the event and for Fedora itself.
Over 1,500 people registered and the expo floor was mobbed on Saturday,
with folks ranging from new users to the most experienced.

Karsten Wade gave the keynote address on Saturday.

A preliminary report (with a wrap-up to follow) can be found here:
http://larrythefedoraguy.wordpress.com

Karsten's keynote can be found here (in two parts):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4874355
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4874749

--- Fedora 12 is here ---

With Fedora 12 Constantine now here, this is a reminder that posting an
announcement of your event on Fedora Weekly News can help get the word
out. Contact FWN Ambassador correspondent Larry Cafiero at
lcafiero-AT-fedoraproject-DOT-org with announcements of upcoming events
-- and don't forget to e-mail reports after the events as well.

-- Quality Assurance --

In this section, we cover the activities of the QA team[1].

Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA

--- Test Days ---

Last week's Test Day was on color management[1]. Turnout was moderate,
but those who did come helped us resolve several problems in
gnome-color-manager. With the fixes introduced by Richard Hughes
throughout the day, all testers reported success in using the
application to import and apply color profiles. Unfortunately no testers
had the extra hardware and/or accessories needed to test generation of
accurate profiles for monitors, webcams and scanners, but we tested
these features as far as possible without them.

Next week's Test Day[2] will be on the langpack plugin for yum[3]. This
feature is intended to automatically install langpacks - packages
containing translations for a particular language - for packages which
use them. So if your system is configured with French support, when
installing a package which keeps its French translation in a separate
langpack, the langpack will be automatically installed. This is a great
convenience feature for all those who use languages other than English,
so please come out and help us test it! The Test Day will run all day on
Thursday 2010-02-25 in the #fedora-test-day IRC channel.

If you would like to propose a main track Test Day for the Fedora 13
cycle, please contact the QA team via email or IRC, or file a ticket in
QA Trac[4].

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ColorManagement
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-02-25_YumLangpackPlugin
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/YumLangpackPlugin
    4. http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/

--- Weekly meetings ---

The QA group weekly meeting[1] was held on 2010-02-15. The full logs are
available[2]. James Laska reported that Kevin Fenzi had set up watchers
for the IRC bot zodbot for the Fedora 13 blocker bug trackers. John
Poelstra had updated the wording on the group calendars slightly to
refer to test milestones rather than specifically to installation testing.

James Laska gave an update on the third automated Rawhide testing
milestone. He had also sent a recap to the mailing list[3]. As well as
finding some more installer bugs, the test run had exposed some areas
for improvement in the test scripts, so James and Will Woods would be
working on those.

James Laska noted that the second build of the Alpha test compose was
now available for testing, and result matrices for installation[4] and
desktop[5] validation testing were now available.

James Laska raised Adam Williamson's suggestion that live images be
provided along with traditional installer images for specific testing
points - pre-releases and candidate builds - to assist in desktop
validation testing and live installation testing. Jesse Keating felt
this would be an unnecessary complication, as the nightly live images
could be used instead, and would in fact ultimately be closer to the
final release. Adam pointed out that this made it harder to co-ordinate
testing across multiple testers and be confident they were all testing
the same code, but was willing to let it slide.

Kamil Paral explained his idea of giving candidate builds different
names from the final builds (currently, Alpha candidate images have the
same name as the final Alpha image, and so on). Jesse Keating felt this
could potentially lead to a case where a bug would only happen with the
final image name, and not with the candidate name. It was also difficult
in that the name of the built image is tightly linked to the image
building process. In the end there was a consensus not to try and
uniquely name candidate builds.

Kamil Paral reported that the AutoQA group had discussed plans for the
prospective results database, and logged the discussion on the mailing
list[6]. They are currently studying other similar projects for ideas
and welcome any feedback on the mailing list. Will Woods recapped the
general outline of the project: to provide a unified database where all
AutoQA tests will report results, for ease of viewing and analysis. He
mentioned that use cases for viewing the AutoQA results were one useful
type of feedback that would be welcome.

Josef Skladanka explained he had been working with Kamil Paral on the
potential use of beakerlib[7] in AutoQA. They had created a simple
example test[8] to demonstrate the use of beakerlib in AutoQA. They hope
to test migrating some of the existing tests to use beakerlib soon.

James Laska noted that Liam Li had updated the status of automated DVD
installation testing on the mailing list[9]. He had continued to work on
techniques for providing boot arguments in automated installations, and
welcomed ideas on that front.

Finally, James Laska gave an update on the status of gwt packaging,
where he had continued to work on the dependency list with the
assistance of the Java team. He was aiming to make a start on packaging
in the upcoming week.

No Bugzappers group weekly meeting was held on 2010-02-16 as there were
no items needing discussion.

The next QA weekly meeting will be held on 2010-02-22 at 1600 UTC in
#fedora-meeting. The next Bugzappers weekly meeting will be held on
2010-02-23 at 1500 UTC in #fedora-meeting.

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20100215
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088407.html
    4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Alpha_TC_Install_Test_Results
    5.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Alpha_TC_Desktop_Test_Results
    6.
http://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-devel/2010-February/000201.html
    7. http://fedorahosted.org/beakerlib/
    8. http://jskladan.fedorapeople.org/beakerlib_helloworld.tar
    9.
http://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-devel/2010-February/000199.html

--- Fedora 13 Alpha test compose validation ---

Kamil Paral announced[1] the availability of the initial Alpha test
compose images. However, these turned out to be unusable[2], and a
second set of images was announced[3] by James Laska. Finally, James
announced a supplementary update image[4] to fix some major issues
encountered in the second test compose. With the second test compose and
updates image, group members helped to fill out the installation[5] and
desktop[6] results matrices. Andre Robatino provided deltaisos for both
F12 to TC1[7] and TC1 to TC2[8].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088444.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088453.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088476.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088494.html
    5.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Alpha_TC_Install_Test_Results
    6.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Alpha_TC_Desktop_Test_Results
    7.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088445.html
    8.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088471.html

--- Privilege escalation policy ---

Adam Williamson announced that the privilege escalation policy the group
had worked on had been accepted by FESCo. It was now in place on the
wiki[1].

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation_policy

--- Security spin QA ---

Adam Miller presented an outline[1] for testing efforts for the new
security spin[2]. He asked the group for help in contributing test cases
for the applications that would be specific to the spin.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-February/088554.html
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Spin

-- Translation --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n)
Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

--- Fedora Transifex v.0.7.4 Open for Testing ---

Piotr Drag announced[1] the availability of the staging server[2] with
upgraded Transifex v.0.7.4 for testing. The staging server is located
at: https://translate.stg.fedoraproject.org/ and can be accessed with
the FAS credentials. Special local projects have been created to allow
the testing of translation submissions and Publican file structures.

Noriko Mizumoto reported multiple errors related to erratic file
submissions[3]. Domingo Becker requested for the addition of a Fedora
logo[4].

Bugs related to transifex and the Fedora specific instance are to be
reported to upstream transifex and the Bugzilla respectively[5].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006982.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006971.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/007011.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006986.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/007000.html

--- Progress on QA Test of Fedora L10n ---

testing, Noriko Mizumoto highlighted[1] that the Alpha compose would be
available two days after the string freeze and would not include a major
portion of the translated content, since translation activity increases
post the string freeze. James Laska has also suggested that a request be
filed with Release Engineering team for the creation of an image for
Localization related testing[2], which has been filed by Noriko Mizumoto[3].

Additionally, Igor Pires Soares has also requested for some help from
the developers, to understand the correct process to test a few packages
that are dependencies for other packages[4].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006975.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006987.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006993.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006980.html

--- Midnight Commander and SSSD Translations ---

As announced by Slava Zanko, Midnight Commander is now ready to accept
translations from transifex.net[1]. The translation structure for SSSD
has been modified by the developer, Stephen Gallagher and currently the
SSSD server and client components would have a single translation file.
Translators have been requested to verify the merged translations to
check for any errors[2].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006978.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006995.html

--- New Members in FLP ---

Andrew Zaytsev (Russian)[1], Chandru Chandrasekhar (Kannada)[2], Pablo
H. Cattáneo (Spanish)[3], and Alexander Shopov (Bulgarian)[4] joined the
Fedora Localization Project recently.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006970.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006977.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006983.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-February/006994.html

-- Artwork --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Artwork for Fedora 13 Alpha ---

Nicu Buculei called[1] for a decision regarding the wallpaper for Fedora
13 wallpaper "As we are one day after the deadline and people are
asking, I think we

     * must* take a decision about what we are going with for Alpha" and
proposed one of the designs[2], an image created by Máirín Duffy "based
on the recent discussions, it looks to me like like the strongest option
is one of the 'Rocket Trails'". Since this proposals received the
consensus, Martin Sourada proceeded[3] to build and push the package.
Martin also blogged[4] about the new wallpaper.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-February/001902.html
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_Artwork#Concepts.2C_WIP_Designs
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-February/001912.html
    4.
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-fedora-13-goddard-backgrounds.html

--- Some More News on the Design Suite ---

Martin Sourada tested[1] the Design Suite[2], the new Fedora Spin
targeted at professional designers, noticing a number of problems
"20100211 hanged on starting rsyslog, 20100214 hanged on starting gdm"
and raised the question about the need for OpenOffice.org Impress on the
spin "why do we have OOo Impress but not the rest of the OOo suit (at
least I haven't noticed it in menus)? This is IMHO just duplicating some
of Inkscape functionality." Sebastian Dziallas, the spin maintainer,
looked into the issues[3] "I had given the snapshot from Feb 14 a try in
a local VM but didn't give installation a try, yet. I've also removed
Impress, Krita and GThumb lately - basically to see where we can get
size-wise." Still, the targetted image size remains under debate "We
could also throw Impress and the rest of the OpenOffice suite in,
though. 1 GB sounds like a good goal, then, indeed."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-February/001917.html
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-February/001927.html

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 13 Security Advisories ---

     * pidgin-2.6.6-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035347.html
     * pdfedit-0.4.3-4.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035340.html

--- Fedora 12 Security Advisories ---

     * moin-1.8.7-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035438.html
     * galeon-2.0.7-20.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035426.html
     * mozvoikko-1.0-8.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035428.html
     * gnome-web-photo-0.9-5.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035427.html
     * blam-1.8.5-22.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035424.html
     * perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc12.11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035421.html
     * gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-16.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035425.html
     * xulrunner-1.9.1.8-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035422.html
     * firefox-3.5.8-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035423.html
     * konversation-1.2.3-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035416.html
     * pidgin-2.6.6-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035409.html
     * pdfedit-0.4.3-4.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035408.html
     * seamonkey-2.0.3-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035346.html
     * systemtap-1.1-2.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035261.html
     * krb5-1.7.1-2.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035222.html
     * kernel-2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035159.html
     * mod_security-2.5.12-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035155.html
     * gambas-1.0.19-12.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035133.html
     * maildrop-2.4.0-12.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035127.html
     * gnome-screensaver-2.28.3-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035115.html
     * libfwbuilder-3.0.7-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035113.html
     * fwbuilder-3.0.7-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035112.html
     * openoffice.org-3.1.1-19.26.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035109.html

--- Fedora 11 Security Advisories ---

     * konversation-1.2.3-1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035406.html
     * pdfedit-0.4.3-4.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035399.html
     * moin-1.8.7-1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035374.html
     * epiphany-extensions-2.26.1-10.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035367.html
     * yelp-2.26.0-11.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035368.html
     * ruby-gnome2-0.19.3-6.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035365.html
     * google-gadgets-0.11.1-5.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035360.html
     * perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc11.9 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035356.html
     * mozvoikko-0.9.7-0.11.rc1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035359.html
     * kazehakase-0.5.8-5.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035357.html
     * Miro-2.5.4-2.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035363.html
     * monodevelop-2.0-9.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035355.html
     * gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-11.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035353.html
     * evolution-rss-0.1.4-10.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035354.html
     * gnome-web-photo-0.7-10.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035366.html
     * eclipse-3.4.2-20.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035352.html
     * hulahop-0.4.9-12.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035351.html
     * pcmanx-gtk2-0.3.9-2.20100210svn.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035350.html
     * galeon-2.0.7-20.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035364.html
     * blam-1.8.5-18.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035362.html
     * epiphany-2.26.3-8.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035361.html
     * chmsee-1.0.1-15.fc11-
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035349.html
     * xulrunner-1.9.1.8-1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035358.html
     * firefox-3.5.8-1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035348.html
     * pidgin-2.6.6-1.fc11-
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035332.html
     * bltk-1.0.8-3.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035245.html
     * systemtap-1.1-2.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035201.html
     * openoffice.org-3.1.1-19.12.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035181.html
     * maildrop-2.4.0-12.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035170.html
     * gambas-1.0.19-12.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035168.html
     * mod_security-2.5.12-1.fc11 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-February/035126.html

- end FWN 214

---
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA