Fedora Weekly News 261
pcalarco at nd.edu
Fri Feb 4 03:29:04 UTC 2011
* 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 261
o 1.1 Announcements
+ 1.1.1 Fedora Announcement News
# 184.108.40.206 Want to get to FUDCon Tempe on time? Take a Tour!
* 220.127.116.11.1 On the tour
+ 1.1.2 Fedora Development News
# 18.104.22.168 Fedora GNOME 3 Test Day #1 coming up tomorrow
+ 1.1.3 Fedora Events
# 22.214.171.124 Upcoming Events (Dec 2010 - Feb 2011)
# 126.96.36.199 Past Events
# 188.8.131.52 Additional information
o 1.2 Fedora In the News
+ 1.2.1 Linus Torvalds: Viel Lob für Ubuntu, Kritik an Debian (Der Standard)
o 1.3 Ambassadors
+ 1.3.1 Welcome New Ambassadors
+ 1.3.2 Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
+ 1.3.3 Summary of events reported on Ambassadors mailing list
+ 1.3.4 Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
o 1.4 Security Advisories
+ 1.4.1 Fedora 14 Security Advisories
+ 1.4.2 Fedora 13 Security Advisories
- Fedora Weekly News Issue 261 -
Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 261 for the week ending February 2, 2011. What follows are some highlights from this issue.
In announcements this week, details on this week's first Gnome 3 Test Day and an invitation to participate! One German article from Fedora In the News this week on Linus Torvalds and Fedora, and in news from the Ambassadors team, a new Ambassador from Taiwan, and a summary of discussions on the team and FAmSCo lists. In Security Advisories, we keep you current with the latest security related patches released in the last week.
Do you create articles or write about Fedora in a language other than English that you'd like to share with Fedora Weekly News? Although the primary language of FWN is English, we'd like to have the News reflect the global diversity that is the Fedora Project. Join us and begin contributing your weekly, monthly, or even irregular content about Fedora!
An audio version of some issues of FWN - FAWN - are available! You can listen to existing issues on the Internet Archive. If anyone is interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!
If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see our 'join' page. We welcome reader feedback: news at lists.fedoraproject.org
FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson
-- Announcements --
In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project, including general announcements, development announcements and Events.
Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam
--- Fedora Announcement News ---
The announcement list is always exclusive for the Fedora Community. Please, visit the past announcements at
---- Want to get to FUDCon Tempe on time? Take a Tour! ----
Clint Savage on Sat Jan 29 08:13:52 UTC 2011 announced,
"If you are coming to FUDCon Tempe and have never been to the ASU campus, we don’t want you to get lost. Let the FUDCon tour guides help you out on your way over to the barcamp pitches tomorrow morning.
Every 10 minutes, starting at 7:45am, meet in the lobby of the Courtyard Marriott. You will be directed on a walking tour as we head toward the Center for Design North (CDN), also known as the Architecture and Environmental Design Building (AED).
---- On the tour ----
you will see the following items:
* A short tour of Mill Avenue, with restaurants and pubs
* The Brickyard Artisan Court (where the Barcamp sessions will be held)
* The Center for Design North (where the Barcamp pitches will be held)
In addition to all this, you’ll be on time to the barcamp pitches! But don’t miss out, the last tour will begin at 8:45 so we can all get there before 9am.
If you don’t get the tour, you can still make it on your own. Here’s a map with information to make it simple and straightforward. It’s a google map and works well by searching for the url right in your maps program on a smart phone."
--- Fedora Development News ---
The development list is intended to be a LOW TRAFFIC announce-only list for Fedora development.
Acceptable Types of Announcements
* Policy or process changes that affect developers.
* Infrastructure changes that affect developers.
* Tools changes that affect developers.
* Schedule changes
* Freeze reminders
Unacceptable Types of Announcements
* Periodic automated reports (violates the INFREQUENT rule)
* Anything else not mentioned above
---- Fedora GNOME 3 Test Day #1 coming up tomorrow ----
Adam Williamson on Wed Feb 2 18:58:27 UTC 2011 announced
"QA and Desktop teams are running three Test Days to test out GNOME 3 ahead of F15 (and GNOME 3.0) releases, and the first is tomorrow!
Please come along and help test - there will be live images so you won't need a Rawhide installation, the testing will be easy, and you don't have to do every single test - you can help out even with ten or fifteen minutes (plus the time to download and burn an image). Please note that right now the wiki page is in considerable flux - I have to write a whole bunch of test cases which aren't up there yet - and desktop team are in the middle of trying to land GNOME 2.91.6 in Rawhide, so please hold off on testing for now, we should have everything in order by tomorrow morning. If you're busy tomorrow, you can certainly come by and do the tests later - all you'll miss is the IRC communication, but you can do all the testing based on the Wiki page. IRC channel is #fedora-test-day on Freenode. Please grab me if you have any questions or suggestions! Thanks everyone."
--- Fedora Events ---
Fedora events are the exclusive and source of marketing, learning and meeting all the fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!
---- Upcoming Events (Dec 2010 - Feb 2011) ----
* North America (NA)
* Central & South America (LATAM): 
* Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
* India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)
---- Past Events ----
Archive of Past Fedora Events
---- Additional information ----
* Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
* Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
* Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by community members.
* Organization -- event organization, budget information, and regional responsibility.
* Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
* LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.
-- Fedora In the News --
In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
--- Linus Torvalds: Viel Lob für Ubuntu, Kritik an Debian (Der Standard) ---
Henrik Heigl forwarded a German language posting about Linus Torvalds and Fedora:
"Trotz alle der positiven Worte für Ubuntu - für Torvalds selbst ist Ubuntu keine Alternative. Als Kernel-Entwickler habe man recht spezifische Anforderungen, die Ubuntu nicht erfüllen kann, aber das ist auch ok, er sei eben nicht die Zielgruppe. Bereits in der Vergangenheit hatte Torvalds immer wieder betont, dass er selbst Fedora zum Einsatz bringt."
The full article is available
-- Ambassadors --
This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project.
Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
--- Welcome New Ambassadors ---
This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a new member joining.
Cheng-Chia Tseng from the Taiwan mentored by Caius Chance
--- Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list ---
Caius Chance looked into  the possibility of organizing the FAD at the Brisbane office of Red Hat
Gerard Braad posted  information about the LCA 2011 and FAD Brisbane  in light of the flooding at the city.
Caius Chance followed up  with details about the new venue at the Brisbane Square Library
Igor Pires Soares supported the need  for guiding a new contributor in a 'straightforward proactive way' and informed that FAmSCo desires to host Townhalls during the years at different timezones.
Ankur Sinha solicited participation and interest  in a Remote Mini Wiki Editing FAD  following up on the achievements of the previous FAD 
Ankur Sinha requested comments  on the Fedora media distribution process draft
Gent Thaçi expressed concern  over obtaining a visa in time to attend FOSDEM. The thread  has helpful suggestions and inputs from fellow Ambassadors.
Igor Pires Soares posted  a link to the new Ambassador FAQ  and informed about work being done on an Ambassador SOP
David Ramsey posted  Meeting notes  for APAC meeting on 2011-01-29
Nicu Buculei proposed a photowalk during FOSDEM  and requested interested participants to get in touch with him.
--- Summary of events reported on Ambassadors mailing list ---
Couret Charles-Antoin reported  on the JM2L event  organized on 2010-11-27
--- Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list ---
Pierros Papadeas posted  Meeting Minutes for FAmSCo meeting on 2011-01-22  along with the updated agenda 
Gerard Braad expressed concern  over two FAmSCo-APAC tickets   which had to be closed with WONTFIX due to slipping of time. Caius Chance added  some additional questions around the fund approval process. Larry Cafiero informed  the specific item was a point of discussion with Max Spevack during FUDCon and would report back post the discussion.
Larry Cafiero posted  agenda  for the FAmSCo meeting on 2011-01-29. Pierros Papadeas followed up  with the Meeting Minutes  and a link to the new FAQ 
Gerard Braad suggested  more participation on the Mentors mailing list and that this be added to the agenda of the next meeting. Pierros Papadeas clarified  about this list being not specifically aimed at Ambassador Mentors
-- Security Advisories --
In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce from the past week.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
--- Fedora 14 Security Advisories ---
* bugzilla-3.6.4-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053665.html
* wireshark-1.4.3-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053650.html
* dhcp-4.2.0-19.P2.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053644.html
* perl-CGI-3.51-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053628.html
* perl-CGI-Simple-1.113-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053591.html
* proftpd-1.3.3d-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053540.html
* chm2pdf-0.9.1-9.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053510.html
* hplip-3.10.9-14.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053474.html
* myproxy-5.3-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053461.html
--- Fedora 13 Security Advisories ---
* bugzilla-3.4.10-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053678.html
* wireshark-1.2.14-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053669.html
* perl-CGI-3.51-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053601.html
* perl-CGI-Simple-1.113-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053576.html
* proftpd-1.3.3d-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053537.html
* chm2pdf-0.9.1-8.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053501.html
* myproxy-5.3-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053473.html
* hplip-3.10.9-14.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053472.html
Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA
More information about the announce