Fedora Weekly News 281

Pascal V. Calarco pvcalarc at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 18 18:38:17 UTC 2011

1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 281
1.1 Announcements
1.1.1 Fedora Announcements
1.1.1.1 Announcing FUDCon APAC 2011 in Pune, India / Call for bids for
FUDCon LATAM and FUDCon APAC 2012
1.1.1.2 Outage: Cleanup of Red Hat located systems - 2011-07-11 20:00 UTC
1.1.1.2.1 Possibly Affected Services:
1.1.1.2.2 Unaffected Services:
1.1.1.2.3 Ticket Link:
1.1.2 Fedora Development News
1.1.2.1 Fedora 16 Schedule Reminders - Feature Submission and Feature Freeze
1.1.3 Fedora Events
1.1.3.1 Upcoming Events (June - August 2011)
1.1.3.2 Past Events
1.1.3.3 Additional information
1.2 Fedora In the News
1.2.1 PCWorld Albanian articles on Fedora Project
1.2.2 Xen lets KVM overtake
1.2.3 Fedora 15 KDE
1.2.4 An In-Depth Look at Fedora 15
1.2.5 The Many Faces of Fedora
1.2.6 Podcast: Igor Pires Soares – Fedora Project (Brazillian Portuguese)
1.2.7 Video: GNOME 3 Shell (and Fedora 15)
1.2.8 Linux-Magazin on Fedora 15 (Spanish)
1.3 Ambassadors
1.3.1 Beat this week
1.3.2 Welcome New Ambassadors
1.3.3 Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
1.3.4 FAmSCo Meeting
1.3.5 Events reported on Ambassadors mailing list
1.3.6 Campus Ambassadors mailing list-Summary of traffic
1.4 QualityAssurance
1.4.1 Test Days
1.4.2 Release criteria and validation testing
1.4.3 A plea to proventesters
1.4.4 AutoQA
1.5 Security Advisories
1.5.1 Fedora 15 Security Advisories
1.5.2 Fedora 14 Security Advisories
1.6 Planet Fedora
1.6.1 Events
1.6.1.1 FUDCon India 2011
1.6.1.2 FUDCon Blacksburg 2012
1.6.1.3 FOSSCON 2011
1.6.2 Fedora Community
1.6.3 General

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 281 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 281[1] for the week ending July 13,
2011. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

In announcements this week, details on the upcoming FUDCon APAC 2011 and
call for bids for FUDCon LATAM and FUDCon APAC 2012, as well as systems
outage notification. In development-related announcements, details on
the feature freeze for Fedora 16. In Fedora In the News this week, we
have several more international contributions, including pointers to
several PCWorld Albanian articles on Fedora, a Brazilian Portuguese
interview with FAMSCo member Igor Pires Soares, a LATAM Fedora magazine,
and much more! In Fedora Ambassadors this week, notice of new Ambassador
team members from all over the globe as well as coverage of the
Ambassadors and FAMSCo discussion lists. In QA news this week, details
and updates on release criteria and validation testing, and AutoQA work.
Security Advisories provides a list of security-related packages
released July 6-13 for Fedora 14 and 15. This issue wraps up with
coverage of the Fedora Planet, including pointers to announced events
and general Fedora Project-relating postings!

An audio version of some issues of FWN - FAWN - are available! You can
listen to existing issues[2] on the Internet Archive. If anyone is
interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[3]. We welcome reader feedback: news at lists.fedoraproject.org

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue281
* http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22FWN%22
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project,
including general announcements[1], development announcements[2] and
Events[3].

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

--- Fedora Announcements ---

---- Announcing FUDCon APAC 2011 in Pune, India / Call for bids for
FUDCon LATAM and FUDCon APAC 2012 ----

Jared K. Smith announced[1]:

"It's my pleasure to announce that the winning bid for FUDCon in the
Asia-Pacific region for 2011 is Pune, India. FUDCon APAC 2011 is
scheduled for November 4th through 6th at the College of Engineering,
Pune, India. FUDCon is the Fedora Users and Developers Conference, a
premier Fedora event that is held several times a year in different
regions of the world. For more information on premier Fedora events, see
the Fedora wiki[2].

As you might imagine, choosing the winning bid was a difficult decision
to make, as both bidding teams have put together very compelling bids.
I'd like to publicly thank both teams for their hard work and effort,
and invite the Beijing team to submit a bid for next year's FUDCon APAC
as well.

I'm also now opening up bidding for FUDCon APAC 2012 and FUDCon LATAM
2012. FUDCon APAC 2012 will be held between March 1st and May 31st, and
FUDCon LATAM will be held between June 1st - August 31st. All bids for
both of these FUDCon events should be submitted by August 11th. If you
have any questions or concerns regarding FUDCon events, I invite you to
subscribe to the FUDCon planning mailing list[3].

-- Jared Smith Fedora Project Leader"

---- Outage: Cleanup of Red Hat located systems - 2011-07-11 20:00 UTC ----

Stephen John Smoogen announced[4]:

"Outage: Cleanup of Red Hat located systems - 2011-07-11 20:00 UTC

To convert UTC to your local time, take a look at[5] or run:

date -d '2011-07-11 20:00 UTC'

----- Reason for outage: -----

We will be removing old systems and putting in new ones at the Red Hat
colocation facility in Phoenix.

At the moment outages are planned for 2011-07-12 00:00 UTC

- Secondary Architecutures
- QA systems
- some Fedora community hardware

No other outages are planned, but deracking of old machines and racking
new ones could result in outages or instability in existing services.

Due to the nature of the work, while we will try to send out daily
announcements of what services will be affected that day, the primary
source of information will need to be announced on Freenode IRC

fedora-admin

----- Affected Services: -----

* QA Services Secondary Architectures

----- Possibly Affected Services: -----

* BFO - http://boot.fedoraproject.org/
* Bodhi - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/
* Buildsystem - http://koji.fedoraproject.org/
* Docs - http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
* GIT / Source Control
* Fedora Account System - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/
* Fedora Community - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/
* Fedora Insight - https://insight.fedoraproject.org/
* Main Website - http://fedoraproject.org/
* Mirror List - https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/
* Mirror Manager - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager/
* Package Database - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
* Smolt - http://smolts.org/
* Spins - http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
* Start - http://start.fedoraproject.org/
* Wiki - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

----- Unaffected Services: -----

* DNS - ns1.fedoraproject.org, ns2.fedoraproject.org
* Email system
* Fedora Hosted - https://fedorahosted.org/
* Fedora People - http://fedorapeople.org/
* Torrent - http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
* Translation Services - http://translate.fedoraproject.org/

----- Ticket Link: -----

* https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2870

Contact Information:

Please join #fedora-admin in irc.freenode.net or add comments to the
ticket for this outage above.

-- Stephen J Smoogen"

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2011-July/002981.html
*
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Premier_Fedora_events#Recurring_Premier_Fedora_Events
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2011-July/002982.html
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UTCHowto

--- Fedora Development News ---

The Development Announcement[1] list is intended to be a LOW TRAFFIC
announce-only list for Fedora development.

Acceptable Types of Announcements

Policy or process changes that affect developers.
Infrastructure changes that affect developers.
Tools changes that affect developers.
Schedule changes
Freeze reminders

Unacceptable Types of Announcements

Periodic automated reports (violates the INFREQUENT rule)
Discussion
Anything else not mentioned above

---- Fedora 16 Schedule Reminders - Feature Submission and Feature
Freeze ----

Robyn Bergeron announced[1]:

"A few friendly reminders:

* The Feature Submission deadline for Fedora 16 is *tomorrow*, July 12.
The current process for submitting a feature for Fedora 16 can be seen
here[2]

* Feature Freeze comes quickly after the Feature Submission deadline, on
July 26. Please note that at this point, Features should be
*substantially complete and in a testable state.* For more information
on the Feature Freeze policy, please read[3]

And finally.... for those of you interested in seeing how the Feature
List is shaping up for Fedora 16, it is up to date with the latest and
greatest approvals from today's FESCo meeting[4].

This is where I'm going to put on my Gentle Reminder Hat, and give
everyone a chance to go into their individual feature pages and update
their percentage complete, and update their "Last Updated" date, which I
will apply to the main FeatureList page. Your efforts here are
appreciated, and help a number of groups understand how close you are to
completion, or conversely, if you are at risk of not making deadlines.

If percentages don't start getting updated, and "last-updated" dates
aren't getting touched, I'll be reaching out to folks individually, but
I would prefer to see that people take the initiative and keep those
things up. Otherwise I have to get out the not-so-Gentle-Reminder-Hat,
and frankly, I don't look very good in that one.

Communication is the key here. If you believe you are *at risk* of not
making the Feature Freeze, please update your feature page accordingly.

The rest of the schedule, as always, can be seen here[5]

Thanks!

-Robyn"

*
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2011-July/000813.html
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FeatureFreezePolicy
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/16/Schedule

--- Fedora Events ---

The purpose of event is to build a global Fedora events calendar, and to
identify responsible Ambassadors for each event. The event page is laid
out by quarter and by region. Please maintain the layout, as it is
crucial for budget planning. Events can be added to this page whether or
not they have an Ambassador owner. Events without an owner are not
eligible for funding, but being listed allows any Ambassador to take
ownership of the event and make it eligible for funding. In plain words,
Fedora events are the exclusive and source of marketing, learning and
meeting all the fellow community people around you. So, please mark your
agenda with the following events to consider attending or volunteering
near you!

---- Upcoming Events (June - August 2011) ----

North America (NA)[1]
Central & South America (LATAM): [2]
Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY12_Q2_.28June_2011_-_August_2011.29
*
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY12_Q2_.28June_2011_-_August_2011.29_2
*
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY12_Q2_.28June_2011_-_August_2011.29_3
*
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY12_Q2_.28June_2011_-_August_2011.29_4

---- Past Events ----

Archive of Past Fedora Events[1]

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/PastEvents

---- Additional information ----

Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by community
members.
Organization -- event organization, budget information, and regional
responsibility.
Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.

-- Fedora In the News --

In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that
is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list[1].

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/

--- PCWorld Albanian articles on Fedora Project ---

Gent Thaçi forwarded[1] a few links for recent articles about the Fedora
Project from PCWorld Albanian:

"Articles written by PCWorld Albanian about Fedora Project:

http://www.pcworld.al/blog/3349-fedora_gjithnje_ne_krah_te_lirise_softuerike.html
http://www.pcworld.al/biznes/intervista/3841-joerg_simon_flet_per_kosoven_dhe_fedoran.html
http://www.pcworld.al/lajmet/4250-Ambasadori-Fedora--nga-Kosova-merr-pjes-FOSDEM-2011.html
http://www.pcworld.al/lajmet/4694-Prishtin-mbahet-Fedora-Release-Party.html
http://www.pcworld.al/softuer/4810-Lshohet-Fedora-Lovelock.html
http://www.pcworld.al/lajmet/5006-Sot-Prishtin-mbahet-Fedora-Release-Party.html
http://www.pcworld.al/lajmet/5010-Prishtin-mbahet-Fedora-Release-Party.html

PCWorld Albanian is a famous Albanian magazine published monthly and
they also have their blog online, some of the articles were also printed
on the magazine and they always gave a big support for our activities in
Kosovo.

Thanks, -- Gent Thaçi, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gent gentt on
irc.freenode.net at #fedora-ambassadors"

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013991.html

--- Xen lets KVM overtake ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"Xen made virtualisation a popular issue on Linux servers and seemed for
a long time to be the open source virtualisation technology of choice.
But the Xen developers lost that advantage by setting the wrong
priorities. KVM was able to take over some key positions and, with a
large number of promoters, is now in a better position."

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013990.html
* http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Xen-lets-KVM-overtake-1262171.html

--- Fedora 15 KDE ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"Overall I think Fedora 15 KDE is a very attractive desktop distro. It
comes with a good selection of software and an attractive & highly
usable version of KDE. There’s not a lot here to complain about and
there’s quite a bit to be happy about. I suspect that Fedora 15 KDE will
be one of the distros that wins over wavering GNOME & Unity users.
Fedora 15 KDE is suitable for beginner, intermediate or advanced Linux
users."

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013989.html
* http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2011/06/27/fedora-15-kde/

--- An In-Depth Look at Fedora 15 ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"Fedora has long been touted as being one of the most professional,
stable, cutting-edge distros out there, and seeing as though its latest
version brings GNOME 3 along for the ride, I couldn't help but download
and install it. I've since used Fedora 15 for an entire month, so read
on as I take a look at this release from all angles."

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013988.html
* http://techgage.com/article/an_in-depth_look_at_fedora_15/

--- The Many Faces of Fedora ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"Some folks might be unaware though that Fedora comes in a number of
different versions; each designed to appeal to a particular audience.
Yes, it’s true. Fedora has many faces and here’s a brief look at each of
them for those who might be interested in taking another look at this
fine desktop distribution."

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013987.html
* http://eyeonlinux.com/2011/06/16/the-many-faces-of-fedora/

--- Podcast: Igor Pires Soares – Fedora Project (Brazillian Portuguese) ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"Igor Soares - Projeto Fedora

I had a chance to interview Igor Pires Soares from the Fedora Project
and chat about how he got started with translations, participating on
several organizing committees and his travels around the world! He talks
about getting lost in Chile, learning English and Spanish, the role his
university played on his career, his top 5 books, movies and his
interest in music, including a very special moment during a U2 show in
São Paulo. The interview is in Brazilian Portuguese, but anyone who can
speak Portuguese or Spanish should be able to enjoy it!"

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013986.html
* http://www.ogmaciel.com/podcast-igor-pires-soares-fedora-project/

--- Video: GNOME 3 Shell (and Fedora 15) ---

Rahul Sundaram forwarded[1]:

"After looking around for a good introduction video to GNOME 3 I found
this one. It is the best one I've found so far. Unfortunately it seems
to only be available in Flash format. Since Fedora 15 was one of the
first distros to ship GNOME 3, it also covers Fedora some. Enjoy."

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013985.html
* http://www.montanalinux.org/video-gnome-3-shell-review.html

--- Linux-Magazin on Fedora 15 (Spanish) ---

Maria Leandro forwarded[1]:

"Fedora 15 - 32 y 64 bits Fedora 15 -"Lovelock" es lo último de la
comunidad GNU/Linux apadrinada por Red Hat. Esta nueva versión viene con
muchas y muy interesantes novedades. Por un lado implementa la nueva
versión del escritorio Gnome -Gnome3 -con su revolucionario Gnome Shell,
un nuevo concepto de escritorio. Para navegar por Internet tenemos
Firefox 4, el navegador de altas prestaciones de código abierto; y para
productividad ofimática, la suite LibreOffice, el fork de OpenOffice
avalado por la Open Document Foundation.

Aparte de Gnome, en el DVD podrás elegir instalar otros escritorios,
tales como KDE 4.6, lo más moderno de este excelente escritorio; también
se incluyen XFCE y LXDE, dos escritorios ligeros, pero extremadamente
potentes y con multitud de funcionalidades. En la cara B encontrarás la
versión de 64 bits, la más apropiada para portátiles de gama media y
alta, y ordenadores de escritorio modernos"

The full post is available[2].

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2011-July/013984.html
* http://www.linux-magazine.es/issue/73

-- Ambassadors --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors
Project[1] For days of the week starting from 05 July 2011 to 13 July
2011[2].

Contributing Writer: Richard A Vijay

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/

Beat this week

Headlines from mailing lists are pointers to two topics 1 Stickers and
Media Discussions and 2 FAmSCo

--- Welcome New Ambassadors ---

This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a couple of new members
joining.

Each and everyone of us in Fedora Community is happy to have you as part
of our Ambassadors team. We wish you very best in your endeavors.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Edugeek76 from Brazil mentored by
Daniel Bruno

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kaesar from France mentored by Joerg
Simon

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pake from Taiwan mentored by Caius
'kaio' Chance

Congrats and Wishes to all New members from Fedora Team. Thanks Joerg
(kital) Simon for inviting them with welcome message.

--- Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list ---

---- Stickers Order ----

John(Fid : inode) shared his view on fedora stickers, he suggested that
discounts may be availed if larger quantity order is placed. Take a look
at 2.5 " sticker, mail him if you like to join John for the order. This
is larger logo is laptop sticker, planned for the order. [1] Smaller
ones are called case badges. John is planning for 20K order, so it will
be 5k per region. For EMEA and APAC, plan is to ship it with people to
FUDCon to reduce expenses. - kaio expressed his view on postage and
manufacturer discount order quantity for stickers Gerard (gbraad )
suggested local production of stickers for APAC,china as it may reduce
shipping cost and production cost. David Ramsey greeted all Fedora
members, and asked the APAC members if they are interested in 3"
stickers Suresh from srilanka thanked Tom and Darmsey for stickers he
received. He would like to request a quantity order of around 200 for
srilanka. He likes the idea of local printing of stickers at srilanka.

Bryan (bryanlbasil) shared his views on stickers, interesting
read,thanks Brayan. Kevin Raymond (shaiton) thanked and appreciated the
stickers. places a request for more stickers to france, expects to
receive them before september. Christoph brought the point that EMEA ran
out of stickers and would like to place the order. He and team will
allocate budget to join the order

kaio wrote to the community enquiring if there is a wiki page to track
the following cost 1. Media 2. Stickers 3. Shirts with following details
1. miminum order 2. turnaround time of manufacture 3. postage to
surrounding countries

Manuel Escudero enquired how he can place an order for stickers kaio
explained that Manuel may request in mailing list . He also proposed a
Fedora-store for public.

John(inode) explained briefly on the sticker price and quantity. He said
that It appeared that from our initial quote 5000 of these would cost NA
around $1,000 but the marginal cost of adding an additional 5000 might
be as low as $300. Given that low marginal cost he thinks that we should
seriously consider a much larger order so we are requesting quotes for
12000, 16000, and 20000 now and expect to have those quotes in hand
within a week. NA won't be making any decision on this until we see
those quotes and we'll share the costs with others who might want to
join with us before we order. So he asked everyone stayed tuned for
about a week and to see what the final numbers are for larger orders.

aeperezt highlights that Panama may need minimum of 100 in quantity in LATAM

Maria Gracia Leandro (tatica) wrote that LATAM may need atleast 1000 and
planning for atlas 2 countries to plan for distribution. mark shared his
view with everyone that he finds that stickers to be a happy seedling
for fedora community.

Ankit Jain asked for details on obtaining stickers for educational
institutions in Mumbai, India inode wrote back expressing this view that
the plan for ordering is at regional level and not at city levels. Hence
requests should go to local regions and regions should share it with
fedora community

Christian Bryant on Wed Jul 6 03:48:11 2011 wrote to community regarding
his work on querying local companies and LUGs regarding their Fedora
friendliness, he would like to discuss it in next meeting

Scott shared the pricing details for budgeting 3" voice logo sticker:

Quantity=Price 5000=$896.33 10000=$1276.22 12000=$1485.90 16000=$1742.80
20000=$1882.10

Pierros requested to file the appropriate trac ticket on famsco, if
needed. He suggested 20000 in quantity.

Neville wrote that community members may better be plan the events ahead
along with sticker delivery.

kaio wrote his plan for Greater China sticker quantity, prediction of 1k
for taiwan, 1.5 - 2K for china

John wrote his view that 20000 may be the right quantity and it may be
split among regions as required.

kaio is waiting for stickers, kaio wrote this to community.

Pake from Taipai introduced himself on the mailing list

Christian Bryant shared details of Linux foundation community and
blogging [2] Christoph is currently on a business trip, he wrote about
it on Jul 11th Pablo and MooDoo-Paul Mellors helped in organising
meetings for Christoph

jsimon on 11th July wrote to community that 150KG of media arrived ie
5000 pieces,ready for distribution. Special thanks to Christoph Wickert
as Media Wrangler,Appreciated.

3000 Multi Desktop DVD 1000 Install DVD 32 bit 1000 Install DVD 64 bit

Jsimon will be taking up shipping. Boxes will be for a minimum quantity
of 110 media per box. Please avoid single media request.

We also already have some Media-Hub Destinations:

1000 France https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/81 1000
Greece https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/89 400 Nigeria
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/95 500+ Italia
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/87 110 Belgium
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/88 500+ Czech
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/92 110 Tunisia
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/96 110 Israel
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/97 400 Kosovo
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/84 110 Morroco
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/94 400 Nairobi
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/ticket/78

If you want to act as a Media hub for your Region please open a ticket
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking [3] and assign it to Joerg
(jsimon)

--- Fedora EMEA ambassadors meeting planned for 13 July ---

The meeting minutes for the FAmNA meeting of 2011-07-05 (EST time) are
as following:

Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-06/famna.2011-07-06-01.00.html

Minutes (text):
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-06/famna.2011-07-06-01.00.txt

Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-06/famna.2011-07-06-01.00.log.html
beats editor appreciates attitude of sharing positive sprit, also would
like to point to all those positive spirited members that email traffic
reduction on network is good practice.

--- FAmSCo Meeting ---

Neville Cross wrote to the community on 7 July about meeting planned on
9 July at 14 hrs UTC Igor Pires Soares shared meeting details FAmSCo
held a public meeting and took a time to discuss aspects and approaches
for next FADs and FUDCons.

We are going to have public meetings once a month and I look forward to
see more participation from ambassadors in those meetings. :) Here are
the minutes: [4] Minutes (text): [5] Log: [6]

Tuan asked community members for their preference on timing for next meeting

--- Events reported on Ambassadors mailing list ---

Shaiton shared details of his Paris Event, here is the original mail in
its original taste. Thanks Shaiton

We had a great two days event in Paris the 4th and 5th of June. I know
that it happened a month ago, apologies for this late report.

In the talk room we were discussing about new F15 features, and then
there was a 2h BoxGrinder workshop. In a workshop room we worked on
sound composition using FOSS and then there were discussions about
LaTeX. The install party in itself was in the master room (about 100
people there with 20 FOSS contributors). We spoke a lot about GNOME 3,
and we made lots of live USB. In this room, there was a big white screen
in which I displayed a slideshow about the event planning, the first
page of our newly released Muffin 3 magazine, a summary of "How to
contribute" and websites. For this "slideshow" I used the GNOME Shell
power: I wrote a plugin to auto switch between workspace. No need
anymore to write something in LibreOffice. One full screen window in
each workspace and you're done![2] KDE lovers were silent.

This is what we usually do for each release. But this time we wanted
more, this is why we planned this second contribution day! We where
about 10 French Fedora Project contributors here to work on different
subjects and showing people to know how to be involved in the Fedora
Project. We encounter some French forum users. That was nice, we spoke a
lot. Firstly we wanted to improve the LXC template but there was a new
release only few days before, and we didn't really had big project on
which we would be able to work. Every contributors have their wide TODO
list. Next time, we should define some projects and start before the
targeted day, in a FAD way.

The event page is in french[3] but you can find a slideshow used in the
talks (the BoxGrinder one is there[4]).

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera plans for FAD Srilanka by 3rd week of
August [10]

--- Campus Ambassadors mailing list-Summary of traffic ---

The mailing list did not have any traffic this week.

[11]

* http://spot.fedorapeople.org/sticker-pic.jpg
* http://www.linux.com/community/groups/viewgroup/1370-Fedora+Ambassadors
* https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking
*
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-09/famsco.2011-07-09-14.15.html
*
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-09/famsco.2011-07-09-14.15.txt
*
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-07-09/famsco.2011-07-09-14.15.log.html
* https://gitorious.org/gnome-shell-extension-autochange-workspace (It's
an "early alpha" there is no On/Off button yet... You need to click in
the top panel to activate or deactivate, feel free to ask an access on
the repo, I won't work more on that soon)
* http://asso.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Rencontres_Fedora_15_%C3%A0_Paris
*
http://asso.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Fichier:JUDCon_2011_Boston_BoxGrinder_(msavy-revised-2011-06-04).pdf
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Sri_Lanka_2011
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/campus-ambassadors/

-- QualityAssurance --

In this section, we cover the activities of the QA team[1]. For more
information on the work of the QA team and how you can get involved, see
the Joining page[2].

Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join

--- Test Days ---

The Fedora 15 Test Day track is now finished, and the main Fedora 16
Test Day track has not yet started. If you would like to propose a main
track Test Day for the Fedora 16 cycle, please contact the QA team via
email or IRC, or file a ticket in QA Trac[1].

* http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/

--- Release criteria and validation testing ---

Rui He added the finished VNC installation test cases to the install
testing template[1]. Adam Williamson provided a survey comparing the
Beta release criteria against the validation test cases[2], as he
previously had for the Alpha release criteria (see FWN #280), and began
filing tickets to request updates to the validation tests where needed.

James Laska put into production[3] his proposed changes to the release
criteria to make them more generic (see FWN #280). James proceeded on to
considering ways to implement release criteria and criteria variations
specific to secondary architectures, outlining several possible ways to
proceed with this[4]. Jóhann Guðmundsson[5], Adam Williamson[6] and
Dennis Gilmore[7] provided feedback on his proposals, and all involved
generally agreed on an approach to the problem.

Adam Williamson expanded his proposed 'base' release validation test
matrix into a full proposed template page[8], and requested feedback on
the draft.

* http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/210#comment:3
* http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/151#comment:15
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101156.html
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101177.html
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101178.html
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101182.html
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101192.html
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101180.html

--- A plea to proventesters ---

Michael Schwendt reminded proventesters[1] not to file positive feedback
on an update for which a previous tester had provided negative feedback
unless they were very sure the negative feedback was erroneous.

* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-July/101159.html

--- AutoQA ---

Having finished and released AutoQA 0.5.0, the AutoQA team was planning
for the 0.6.0 development cycle[1]. James Laska and Kamil Paral have
been working on an SOP for AutoQA releases[2].

* http://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-devel/2011-July/002524.html
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AutoQA_Release_Process

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from
fedora-package-announce for the period June 8- June 15, 2011.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 15 Security Advisories ---

asterisk-1.8.4.4-2.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062658.html
torque-3.0.1-4.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062638.html
blender-2.49b-16.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062616.html
kernel-2.6.38.8-35.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062611.html
bind-9.8.0-7.P4.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062522.html
libvirt-0.8.8-7.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062515.html
rubygem-actionpack-3.0.5-3.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062514.html
scsi-target-utils-1.0.18-1.fc15 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062402.html

--- Fedora 14 Security Advisories ---

blender-2.49b-14.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062641.html
asterisk-1.6.2.19-1.fc14
-http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062628.html
wordpress-3.1.4-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062562.html
fabric-0.9.7-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062534.html
scsi-target-utils-1.0.18-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062494.html
pidgin-2.9.0-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062469.html
thunderbird-3.1.11-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062409.html
gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-31.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062414.html
galeon-2.0.7-41.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062408.html
gnome-web-photo-0.9-21.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062412.html
perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc14.27 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062411.html
mozvoikko-1.0-22.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062407.html
firefox-3.6.18-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062410.html
xulrunner-1.9.2.18-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-July/062413.html

-- Planet Fedora --

This is the Planet Fedora section, covering news from
planet.fedoraproject.org[1], a collection of blogs from Fedora users
spanning the globe.

Contributing Writer: Joel Braun

--- Events ---

---- FUDCon India 2011 ----

Praveen Kumar gave an overview[1] of the upcoming FUDCon India event,
and information about attending or getting involved in preparations.

Amit Shah wrote a planning/responsibility list for FUDCon India[2],
which breaks down who is working on what and further preparations that
need to be made.

Suchakra Sharma posted some preliminary logo designs[3] for FUDCon
India, as well as some promotional artwork.

---- FUDCon Blacksburg 2012 ----

Ben Williams issued a general request[4] for those willing to hold
workshop type sessions, barcamps, or hackfests, stating that he is doing
"A lot of brainstorming to make this the best FUDCon ever."

He also announced that the hotel for the event will be the Inn at
Virginia Tech[5].

---- FOSSCON 2011 ----

Mohammed Morsi will be presenting a keynote on Aeolus[6], an open source
cloud management framework next week at FOSSCON. He will be discussing
details of the framework and how it integrates with cloud services.

--- Fedora Community ---

Rahul Sundaram detailed the work being done to integrate askbot into
Fedora[7] in an article entitled 'The case for Ask Fedora'. He hopes to
turn it into a Q & A oriented community to support Fedora users.

---- General ----

Jeff Darcy blogged on [8]the features of CloudFS and how it will work
with the upcoming Fedora 16.

The Pulp team has announced the arrival of Pulp release 14[9], which
brings numerous enhancements.

Rares Aioanei has published[10] the latest edition of the kernel weekly
news, detailing the most recent work being done on the linux kernel.

* http://kumar-pravin.blogspot.com/2011/07/fudconindia-2011.html
*
http://log.amitshah.net/2011/07/first-fudcon-india-meeting.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+amit%2Ftech+%28Think.+Debate.+Innovate.%29
*
http://suchakra.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/fudcon-india-2011-design-updates-1/
*
http://jbwillia.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/fudcon-blacksburg-2012-call-for-workshops-hackfest-barcamp-topics/
*
http://jbwillia.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/fudcon-blacksburg-2012-hotel-selected-room-block-open/
* http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/339
* http://mether.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/the-case-for-ask-fedora/
* http://cloudfs.org/2011/07/status-report-2011-07/

- end FWN 281 -

---
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Ontario, Canada